cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Install and upgrade for large server fleet

mbarlow
Level 3

Greetings,

I'm a platform manager having to install and upgrade NBU for Linux and Windows.

number of nodes are 10,000s. The version is 10.x 

What are the most effective ways to install and then do ongoing upgrades of NBU ?

Is the answerfile option still a viable option ?

can use automation tools like ansible.

cheers

MB

6 REPLIES 6

admin_bkp007
Level 5
Piece of cake, search about deployment in console Java of Netbackup.

https://origin-www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/125240132-131571482-0/v131571516-131571482

mbarlow
Level 3

@admin_bkp007 Thanks. New installs, does that work ? we roll out about 5 - 10K windows and Linux hosts an year roughly. 

The current solution doesn't scale and has limitations in terms or multiple teams getting involved, inducing delays. 

Thanks again for responding. 

Will_Hunting
Level 4

There is a project NetBackup Automation Platform (NBAP), which contains Ansible roles and playbooks for automating the deployment and configuration of NetBackup. These playbooks support all NetBackup Client 10.x versions. One of them is playbook_upgrade_client_redhat.yml, it maybe helps.

https://github.com/VeritasOS/netbackup-automation-platform

tcsimerson
Level 3
Employee

For client installs, the answer file is still your best route.  BUT client upgrades are dramatically easier with the introduction of VxUpdate.  It's a policy driven mechanism built into the web UI that can upgrade all clients and media servers.  Simply upload the appropriate upgrade bundle (the .sja files from the support download area), create a policy to perform the upgrades, and manage all the upgrades through the Activity Monitor just like any other NBU job.

I've not had a chance to try out the Ansible playbooks noted by Will_Hunting but they look like they might be pretty good for doing client installs.  Looks like they are only for RedHat Linux installs but could probably be modified for other Linux platforms.

Tom Simerson

Thanks, that's helpful!

admin_bkp007
Level 5

I agree with @tcsimerson for news servers best choice is answer file, my answer was about update version if netbackup already installed in the host client.

I never did answer file please share your script I'm sure will be very helpful, Thanks.