cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error accessing Writer Metadata

David_Slamowitz
Level 4
When backing up shadow copy componants I get the following error:

Final error: 0xa000fec9 - A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

I am using windows SBS 2003

Any suggestions?
28 REPLIES 28

rsoftnl
Not applicable
I too have the same problem. The problem seems to be related to me installing F-Secure for Windows Servers on the system. Does anyone know what the influence of F-Secure on VSS or Veritas could be?

I too have not found a solution yet.

glemmestad
Not applicable
Same error here too. BExec 9.1 SP2. Windows 2003 Enterprise (Exchange 2k3 also running on same server).
Exact same error message. All suggestions in thread tested; same error still received. It appears even when I ONLY back up "System State" under "Shadow Copy Components". Backing up on local machine to Backup-2-Disk.

Thanks

Kind regards,
Even

Hugo_Koren
Level 2
Hi,

I am having the same problem.
System configuration:
Windows 2003 with Exhange.
Veritas 9.1 SP2 with IDR and exchange plugin.

What shows up in my logfile:
Backup - Shadow?Copy?Components Shadow?Copy?ComponentsA failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.
Witch gives me a backup failed error.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly update regarding the issue.

Regards.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

David_Slamowitz
Level 4
My problem has been fixed. Apparently I had a virus on my server which created a folder called WINIT in the system32 folder. The virus also created a service called 'internet explorer' the writer metadata error was related to accessing this service. Once I removed the virus and the service the error went away. Thanks.

Sandor_Nilsson
Level 2
I have the same problem on two SBS 2003 servers and both of them are running F-Secure!

I disabled the real-time protection and made a test backup of the Shadow Volume and guess what! It worked!

Thanks for the clue mate!

Level 2
I have fixed it for the specific error as shown in this thread as below...It only took a month. Thx for the support VERITAS. NOT!

Team, had a niggling backup problem for the last month that came out of the blue one day. The following is the resolution should you ever get this error as was quite difficult to ascertain and repair.

1) you receive the following error:

- Backup - Shadow?Copy?Components Shadow?Copy?Components

A failure occurred accessing the Writer metadata.

2) Apply the following hotfix and reboot the server: (Note: This hotfix is only available from Microsoft through logging a call so I have put it into the following Unisys share).

- \\Aubne1-r1\Shared\TAFE QLD UNISYS\Ops SS\BackupExec\VERITAS_MS_Hotfix-833167\WindowsServer2003-KB833167-x86-ENU.EXE

3) You will then get a new error as below:

- Backup - \\SERVER1

OFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

VSS Snapshot error. Out of disk space or no NTFS volume found while creating snapshot. Add one or more NTFS drives that have at least 100 MB of free space for each volume that will be snapped.

4) Modify the backup job to only backup the system state as shown below:

5) You will also need to modify the root cause of the problem which is the fact that BE is registering that the shadow copy free space for drive C:\ is insufficient, even if it is disabled and not in use, which is quite bizarre but correct after numerous test backups, enabling and disabling etc:

- Set the size of the Shadow copy volume to > 100MB. As in the example I set it to 300MB and worked ok. Again Note: this is even though the shadow copy is set to disabled…

This should resolve the issue and you should get 100% backups from then on in. I will also be posting to the Veritas website as there is no resolution yet on a huge forum article about this problem.

Level 2
Sorry, O/S is 2K3 server.

Exchange / SQL/ Antivirus etc is irrelevant...

qzart
Not applicable
I know this Thred is over 4 years old however I just got this same problem and I was able to fix it by setting my C: Shadow copy components to an alternate partition (E:)  

This happened to me shortly after I defragmented the C: Drive