cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error backing up DC after installing Exchange 2007

IXX
Level 2
Hi.

We are upgrading from a sbs 2003 server to a new virtual environment with a DC/SQL , Terminal server and a DC/Exchange 2007 server.
We first installed the Exchange 2007 server as just a domain controller and installed Backup Exec 11d and configured the backup and it worked ok. It backed up the old SBS 2003 server and the two new ones and it all worked fine.
The day after that we installed Exchange 2007, just installed it not configured it. Then all the problems came, the backup ended with failure and when i tried to make a new job I wasn´t able to browse the files , it just said error connecting to server. Tried changing login accounts but nothing worked.
We installed backup exec 10 on the old SBS 2003 server and configured it but the same problem there, we could not choose any files to select. Error connecting to sever.
Then we installed backup exec 11d on a win XP workstation that we connected to the domain, from that computer we could select files from the Terminal server but nog from the old SBS 2003 and the Exchange 2007 servers. We just got a error message that saying Access is denied. Tried admin account but its not working.
I think it must be something the Exchange 2007 server did to the AD when we installed it, does anyone have a clue about whats wrong??

Thanks !!

//Fredrik
3 REPLIES 3

IXX
Level 2
I´ve found out that the problem is when i connect to the backup exec agent, if i remove the agents í am able to connect to the servers and browse the files. But i want the exchange options.
When i am installing the agents on the servers it works fine but i cannot connect to them and browse the files. I have used the Administrator acconts but its not working, tried to make a new account but its the same problem.

Ideas??

//Fredrik

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Fredrik,

It sounds like Backup Exec is having an issue communicating with the agent.
Was anything other then Exchange installed?  Maybe a firewall? 

Backup Exec will need to make initial contact on port 10000, at that point the remote server will choose a random port to send the data.  If that port is not open for data transfer on both sides you would get an access is denied. 

I would be very surprised if this was an Exchange 2007 issue.

IXX
Level 2
Thank you for your answer.

There are no firewalls enabled on either server so it cannot be that. I don´t think it´s because of the Exchange installation. It´s just communication error between backup exec and the agents  but i just can´t se why.

//Fredrik