cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error connecting to BE Remote Agent

Frank_VillaOrla
Level 3
This occurance is very similar to the problem posted by Mark Jones. We have BE v10.1 rev 5629 runnng on a Windows 2000 server. The Novell server is OS 6.5 SP5 with the NDMPD.NLM v 9.10 running. I checked the server and the agent was running but the job log said that it could not find the agent. I ran a test job and it also said that it could not find the agent. I checked the Novell SMS and the server was listed. I would appreciate any help. Thank You
11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you checked that name resolution is working in BOTH directions? If it isn't, this needs to be resolved first (update hosts files or DNS etc).

Also, what version/build of the NetWare agent do you have (check in sys:\bkupexec\version.doc)?

Has this ever worked??

Frank_VillaOrla
Level 3
Chris,

Yes this backup was working until last week. Nothing has been changed on either server. Here is the version information:

Backup Exec for NetWare 9.1 Build 1158.5

Media Server = 1158.5
Ndmp Server = 1158.5
Nlm Client = 1158.5
Java Client = 1158.5
Drivers = 0011N022

Windows 9X agent = 5.030
MAC OS X agent = 5.045
UNIX agent = 5.046

OFO NW option = 9.4.401m
RAWS/OFO NT option = 4691R.42

Thank you for your assistance.

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you checked to see if name resolution is still working (in BOTH diections)?

Frank_VillaOrla
Level 3
Yes, Name resolution is working both ways. I am able to ping using either the IP address or Hostname.

Frank_VillaOrla
Level 3
I have tried restarting the NLM and it came up with the following error message:

"Unable to initialize communication interface. Another application is currently using NDMP PORT: 1000. Further program execution is not possible."

This is why it is not working but I do not know what changed and is there any way to check to what is holding this port or change the port in BE.

I have checked the port availability in both servers and the Windows server is not assigned but listening and the Novell server says that the port is assigned to NDMPD.Message was edited by:
Frank VillaOrlad

criley
Employee Accredited
Try loading the agent using the following command:

BESTART -!X

This switch tells the agent to skip checking for port availability.

Hope that helps.

Frank_VillaOrla
Level 3
Chris,

Thanks for the information. I tried it and the agent did load with no errors but when I test ran the job it still failed saying that it could not connect to the agent. Am I missing something, should I recreate the job. As I said up until a couple of weeks ago it was running fine.

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you installed any hotfixes on the windows server recently? If so, you will probably need to update the NetWare agent:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282302

Frank_VillaOrla
Level 3
My current OS is Windows server 2003 SP1
5.2.3790 SP1

How do you check what hot fixes are loaded. Sorry for the inane question but I am familiar with Novell OS and just learning MS server OS.

Thank You

criley
Employee Accredited
Go to Help-->About Symantec...-->Installed Updates.

Frank_VillaOrla
Level 3
Thank you for all you help Chris. We ended up restarting the server and it seems to be working now (I do not know why, we had done this earlier) If there are anymore issues I will open up another thread. Thank you.

Frank VillaOrlad