cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error e00084f2 - An attempt to write database end of media has failed

Ken_Mccord
Level 3
Receiving the error in the Subject line on a job that backs up to an external USB drive. The job is set to append, and overwrite if not appendable media is available.

I've used Backup Exec previously, but with tape backup, not to disk.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Please let me know what further information might be needed to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Ken
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Mccord
Level 3
Bump as I need to find a solution - thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
have you looked at http://support.veritas.com/docs/283036 ?

Ken_Mccord
Level 3
Yes, I did. The USB drives are NTFS formatted, but are not compressed. The drives are full with previous backup files.

With the backups set to "append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available", shouldn't the backup notice the drives are full and to overwrite? Or do I need to free space first? If so, what is the recommended process?

These drives are only used by Backup Exec.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if your job(s) are all "Append, Else Overwrite", even if you have 500 BKF files, you only have 1 "disk file" (up to the MaxFileSize you have specified). so it will never overwrite

If you set your jobs to Overwrite, and set the Max File Size to 5GB or so, then as the BKF files fill up, BackupExec will create new ones. Each job will start a new file, and when the OPP for the oldest file has passed, BackupExec should start re-using the BKF files (same file name, new data, new OPP date)Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Ken_Mccord
Level 3
Thanks, will give it a shot tonight.

Ken

Ken_Mccord
Level 3
Well, I made the suggested change, and it works - sometimes. For two days, everything backed up successfully. But now I'm getting this error again, even with the 'Overwrite' setting, I'm still getting errors regarding not enough space on the disk.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Change registry entry for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Tape Format\Use Fast Append from 1 to 0 (value is hexadecimal)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Backup Engine\NTFS\FsUseAsyncIO from 1 to 0 (value is hexadecimal)

Restart the Backup exec Services and try again-...

Thank You,

Shweta