cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message in backup exec 11d v-79-57344-4608 not showing up on support

Casey_Wood
Not applicable
I just installed the newest version 11d, and am getting an error message v-79-57344-4608 - The backup-to-disk folder that was specified for this job must be on a local NTFS volume. Create a new backup-to-disk folder on a local NTFS volume or modify the current folder, and then submit the job again.

The volume is NTFS but is on a remote volume and I want it on a remote volume at another location for disaster recovery purposes. It backs up the data, but I get this error message. How do I allow remote NTFS volumes to be allowed so that I won't get the error message.
5 REPLIES 5

Deepak_Prabhu
Not applicable
This happens because in your backup job , you have selected components which support granular restore(GRT).(eg . exchange stores, system state)

In 11d , GRT allows restore of individual objects from a container . As an example , backup of system state of a DC lets you restore individual components of AD.
For this feature to work , Backup Exec requires a local NTFS volume , because it uses a filter driver on the Backup Exec machine.
This explains the error message.

Now if you want to turn off the granular restore feature., you could do that from the Backup Exec GUI in tools->options->Active Directory and uncheck "Enable restore of individual objects".There is a similar option for Exchange.

This disables the granular restore feature , but will not show the error message in your backup job which goes to the remote folder.

Nishant_desai
Level 4
I completely agree with Deepak's reply.Please do the same as suggested.

Minnie_Mouse
Level 2
When you say local, is that local to the media server or the remote server being backed up?

Thanks

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
It needs to be local to the media server.

DarenS
Not applicable
Yes that may keep you from getting the failures but does it mean that you can't restore single pieces of active directory?  If you disable it in Exchange does that mean you can't restore single e-mails or mailboxes?  I'd hate to have to restore a whole information store just because I needed to restore one mailbox or e-mail.  Is there anything else you can do?

Thanks for your help.