cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Event IDs 11 and 9

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
This is a new install with a new Quantum DLT-S4 external drive, connected to an LSI Logic LSI21320-R host controller (is not RAID). Its alone on the U320 channel, no other devices, and its properly terminated. When I try to run a backup, I get 4 Event ID 11s and one Event ID 9 in the System Log. I'm guessing I need to change some settings in SCSI BIOS, but all the info in the support docs are so old, and I don't want to slow it to a crawl.

Document ID: 191158 says to change:
Initiate Wide Neg to off
Initiate Sync Neg for the tape ID off
Set Maximum Sync Transfer Rate to slowest possible
Disconnect Enabled
and SCSI Parity Checking Off

I am pretty sure this drive uses Wide, and I have no idea what to set the Maximum Sync Transfer Rate to. Can someone give me the relevant/correct settings for a new fast drive like this one? I'd like to only have to reboot it once if possible.
Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Sherry,

Please go through these documents:

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;154690

====================

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
I just wanted everyone to know that Quantum tech support resolved my issue. They are great. They didn't make me read a bunch of things that were only slightly relevant, they told me exactly step-by-step what to do and what settings to use.

The fix for a Quantum DLT-S4 drive having Event IDs 11 and 9 on an LSI Logic U320 SCSI card in a Gateway server is:

Update the server's flash BIOS to latest version.
Update the LSI Logic SCSI flash BIOS to latest version.
Download LSI Logic's latest OEM drivers from Gateway's website (in my case) and install them.
Make sure the Symantec driver is loaded for the tape drive, if not, install it.
Set the tape drive's SCSI ID as close as possible to 3.
Go into the SCSI BIOS configuration and make sure:
WIDE is ON
Maximum SYNC transfer rate is 320 (this drive requires the high rate and an Ultra320 card)
DISCONNECT = ENABLED (default)

All of this took me about 1.5 hours, and it only took that long because of multiple reboots. Having a specific targeted set of instructions designed for ME from a knowledgeable support professional (who spoke excellent English) instead of a bunch of generic documents to read made all the difference in the world. Thanks Quantum!