cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2003 backup to disk - job setup selections advise please

moali
Level 3
Could someone please advise what selections need to be selected to backup the exchange 2003 server with its database using the GRT mail box retrieval enabled: -

e.g does vss snapshot need to be enabled.
      should the database be backed up on it own job without the rest of the drive partitions selected

4 REPLIES 4

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
A Windows server can be backed up for a disaster by protecting the System volume,system state and the shadow copy components (when available).In your case you also have the MS Exchange running so you will need to protect the Microsoft Exchange Information Store which will be available/visible for selection only if you have a license for the Exchange Agent.
In the Job properties for the Exchange Job or the Full job you can go to Microsoft Exchange and select the option to ENABLE RESTORE OF INDIVIDUAL ITEMS FROM AN INFORMATION STORE BACKUP.
This option can also be selected in TOOLS>OPTIONS>EXCHANGE as a default.

To backup Exchange data you can select the Multiple storage groups,Individual Storage groups,individual databases.The backup of individual databases is not supported if you are using the snapshot technology

If you select a volume that contains Exchange data for backup, the Exchange Agent uses
Active File Exclusion to automatically exclude Exchange data that should not be included
in a volume-level backup. For example, .EDB and .STM files, as well as transaction log
files, should not be part of a volume-level backup because they are opened for exclusive
use by Exchange.
Without this exclusion, during a non-snapshot backup, these files appear as in use -
skipped. During a snapshot backup, these files may be backed up in an inconsistent state,
which could create restore issues.
While it is not recommended, if you want to include Exchange data in a volume-level
backup, you must first dismount the storage groups that you want backed up, and then
run the backup job.

moali
Level 3
Thank you For your informative reply.
So to be clear you recommend:
I should not really use VSS - (chance of causing corruption at restore stage).

I performed 2 backup to disk jobs on our 2 exchange servers running on windows 2003 server.
However when i look at the restore section of the backup exec software the size's of the exchnage database indicates 0 bytes.

1. 1st Exchnage Server was backed up using the GRT option and to backup the individual Mailboxes

2. 2nd Exchnage Server had its database backed up (without GRT or individual mailboxes)

But when i look at the actual size of the IMG files and the backup .bkf files there is data stored in them.

Does this mean I will be able to restore the databases and should backup exec state 0 bytes in the restore section.

Thanks

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
In your restore selection,are you able to see the individual items eg messages,contacts etc?
You can try a test restore,maybe a redirected one to a test mailbox.The database size will show up as 0,that is by design.If you drill down further it will show you the size of the item.

moali
Level 3
Thank you again.
You are correct when i drill down the exchange database to the individual mailbox's then sizes are shown.

However my concern now is with the other exchange database where i only backed up the exchange store without GRT - (no option to restore individual mail boxes) restore states 0 bytes.

do i restore to a recovery store to test or does backup exec 12 allow other forms of testing.

Thanks