Active Directory Agent

Advanced Open File Option

CDO update

32-bit Exchange 2007 management tools

On the Exchange server I have

Windows 2003 R2 64 bit

Exchange 2007 Enterprise

CDO update

BE agent 64-bit from 7170 build (installed locally)

Backup exec email account

In BE I have settings:

Use Advanced Open File Option > Automatically Select Open File Technology

Information Store Backups > Full – Database & Logs (flush committed logs)

Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups

I can see the Exchange information stores OK and back them Up. All my mailboxes are in the First Storage Group and the logs show that the backup has been successful. However when I look at the Restore Job Properties, about 15% of the mailboxes are not there. Presumably they weren’t backed up. These are the same mailboxes each time, so to date they have never been backed up. There seems to be no common denominator between the mailboxes.

Why are some mailboxes not being backed up?

Log Extract:

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\exchange.domain.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" "D:" .

The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume D: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

Network control connection is established between 192.x.x.x:3759 <--> 192.x.x.x:10000

Network data connection is established between    192.x.x.x:3874 <--> 192.x.x.x:45746

Family Name: "Media created 20/05/2007 23:00:01"

Backup of "\\exchange.domain.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "

Backup set #4 on storage media #1

Backup set description: "Daily Backup"

Backup Method: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)

Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started

The option to enable the restore of individual items from the database backup was selected for this backup.

Backup started on 20/05/2007 at 23:22:14

Backup completed on 20/05/2007 at 23:59:03.

Verify of "\\exchange.domain.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "

Backup set #4 on storage media #1

Backup set description: "Daily Backup"

Verify started on 21/05/2007 at 01:38:31.

Verify completed on 21/05/2007 at 01:46:40.

Job ended: 21 May 2007 at 02:02:14

Completed status: Successful

7 REPLIES 7

Christiane_Pete
Level 4
Employee
Hi Pogo,

As we do not recommend backing up Exchange Information store using AOFO, I would suggest you try running a separate backup job of the Inforamtion store only - but without using AOFO.  Once the job is successful, check the restore selections.

Regards,

Christiane

Pogo_2
Level 2

I have run a separate backup job of the Information store only without using AOFO.  The job log said that the job was successful. However the job log still says AOFO was used even though it wasn’t selected. I have checked the restore selections and they are exactly the same. The ones that weren’t getting backed up are still not getting backed up. I have tried a test restore which worked OK so the backup as done is OK  I have added 3 new users since my first post 2 got backed up and 1 didn’t. There seems to be no reason for this

Log Extract:

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" "D:" .

The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume D: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

Network control connection is established between 192.xxx.xxx.xxx:1859 <--> 192.xxx.xxx.xxx:10000

Network data connection is established between    192.xxx.xxx.xxx:1892 <--> 192.xxx.xxx.xxx:23013

Verify of "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "

Backup set #11 on storage media #1

Backup set description: "Daily Exchange"

Job ended: 29 May 2007 at 10:25:31

Completed status: Successful

Christiane_Pete
Level 4
Employee
Pogo,

Are you running the Information Store backup with "GRT" ("Job Properties | Microsoft Exchange" with "Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups")?  Are you running the backup to tape of to disk (B2D)?

Regards,

Christiane

Pogo_2
Level 2

I am backing up to tape. A Dell PowerVault 124T with "Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups" selected.

BCPIT
Level 2
Has this been solved?

I am having the same exact issue.

We are starting to move mail boxes and only 50% are available for individual restore after a full backup...

Message Edited by BCPIT on 06-15-200712:23 PM

BCPIT
Level 2
bump...

BCPIT
Level 2
bump...