cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2007 SP1

Ted_Blomberg
Level 2
Does anyone know if 11d 7170 works on Exchange 2007 SP1? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Passing_Strange
Level 3
Ted,

We're using 11d 7170 on Exch 2007 SP1. Seems to be backing up fine! We're currently working through an issue with restoring an individual mailbox: it looks like Remote Streaming backups need to be turned on (at least in our environment). Remote Streaming backups is disabled by default in SP1 (see the release notes)

Good luck

ESabo
Level 6
So are you saying to enable it because BackupExec needs this turned on?

Jeff_Clark
Level 3
Passing Stranger - are you saying that the Remote Streaming Backup functionality has to be re-enabled to be able to perform a GRT restore of a single mail message/folder or mailbox?

Jeff

Passing_Strange
Level 3
OK, Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well.

We found that when we tried to do a mailbox (GRT) restore we were getting an error in the Exchange Application event log from ESE BACKUP saying that a TCP/IP based streaming backup had been attempted (even though it was a restore!) and that funtionality had been disabled. And indeeed Exchange 2007 SP1 does disable streaming backups (it's documented in the readme).

We switched the streaming backup back on (reboot though you might be able to just stop\start the information store service?) and attempted the restore again. The good news was that we no longer got the error message, the bad news was the restore didn't work Smiley Sad

After some investigation I found this article :

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288777.htm

which basically says you have to give your BE service account Server Admin permissions (which we hadn't done: oops). Once those permission were was applied the restore worked (horray!).

Just to emphasise: Our backups we're good: this work is all about getting a mailbox restore to work.

I'm now wondering if the permissions problem was the root cause of my issue. If I'd sorted that out first would I have had to switch on streaming backups? Since this is all on a production system I can't really play around much (the above work was justified as troubleshooting) to test this notion (and I haven't really got access to a test rig).

Any Symantec BE Guru's out there who'd like to comment?