cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 GRT Incremental Backups Failing 5 Days After Full Is Ran, Backup Exec 2012

marths90
Level 3

I have been experiencing a problem recently where our Exchange 2010 GRT backups are failing. They fail on the 5th day following a full backup (regardless of the day the full is run on).

Background Information:

• Exchange 2010 SP3 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2
  • Backup Exec 2012 SP1, also installed on Windows Server 2008 R2

The error I am receiving is as follows:

Final error: 0xe0000393 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation.  The following error was returned when opening th...

Following this, if I run a full backup, it will complete successfully, but it will not complete an incremental. Attempting to run the incremental again or perform any other action aside from running a full backup automatically causes the Exchange VSS Writer state to be "Stable, Retryable Error" and the Exchange server must be restarted before backups will work whatsoever (fail within 1 minute).

I identified a couple articles that looks like they might be related, but cannot confirm (the second one is for Backup Exec 2010 R3, not 2012):

1. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186741
  2. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cannot-extract-mailbox-messages-exchange-backup-error...

Also, the backups seem to take an extraordinary amount of time to complete. They take approximately 9 hours to complete a backup of only 180 gigabytes, sometimes taking upwards of 16 hours on a bad day.

If anyone could help with this, I would be completely and utterly grateful.

Thanks,

- Shaun

7 REPLIES 7

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Those registry keys can be set.

Pls ensure AOFO & Checkpoint Restart is disabled in the Exchange job properties. Add AV exclusions for the BE services.  Are you backing up to a Disk or Tape storage ?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the retention set on your Full and Incremental jobs. Make sure that your Full backup is protected till the last incremental is performed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Exchange 2010 SP3 is not supported at the moment.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

You got to wait for BE 2012 SP2 which is due to be released next month for support.  BE 2012 SP1 only supports up till Exchange 2010 SP2.

marths90
Level 3

AOFO and Checkpoint Restart are both disable in the Exchange job properties, and I have added the AV exclusions everywhere I could find. We use McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator and VirusScan Enterprise for antivirus. On the Exchange server, we are running McAfee GroupShield for Exchange. Also, we are currently only backing up to a Buffalo TeraStation NAS, no separate disk or tape for offsite currently.

marths90
Level 3

The "Keep For" settings on the Full/Incremental jobs are both 4 weeks. So, 4 weeks for Fulls, and 4 weeks for Incrementals.

marths90
Level 3

The issues began prior to us upgrading to Exchange 2010 SP3, so I know it is unrelated to that.

marths90
Level 3

Edited. Replied on individual posts instead.