cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 with multiple Databases

MichaelHauser
Level 2

Hi

We have a Exchange 2010 Server with 10 Databases and around 300 GB Data.
We're using Backup Exec 2010R2 with the Exchange Agent, GRT and Deduplication.

Should I better use 1 Backup Job for all Databases or multiple Jobs for only 2 or 3 Databases at once?

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As there are 10 databases I thinks its OK to select all the databases in single backup when all is working fine.

But selecting 3 databases will be of more advantage. The reason for this is that if you have one job with all the databases then if the job fails due to any 1 database then the whole backup done is of no use.

So by splitting the backups in lets say 3 databases you are atleast sure which one are successfully completed and there will not be the situation where all the backups are bad due to one database.

So my suggestion would be to split the job. But make sure that all the jobs run at different time because running of Exchange databases simultaneously (even when the databases selected are different) will fail the jobs.

Thanks,

-Sush...

MichaelHauser
Level 2

Hello Sush

Thanks for your information. This is exactly what I expected.

We use different Selection Lists with one Policy.

Is there any Possibility to prevent that different Exchange Jobs (Selection Lists) run simultaneously?

Greetings Michael

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As the backups are going to DeDupe folder it will not be able to completely avoid the possibility of not running the jobs at the same time.

You will have to calculate the time manually like as per the size of the Exchange database how much time will be required for each database backup. And then accordingly schedule the jobs at three different times keeping a good time buffer.

So your 3 database backups tales around 5 hours to complete then you can do the following:

1st (4 databases) job start time = 1:00 AM (at night)

2nd (3 databases) job start time = 9:00 AM (in the morning)

3rd (remaining 3 databases) job start time = 6:00 PM (in the evening)

This is just a n example. You can configure it as what you think could be best for your scenario.

Thanks,

-Sush...