cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Agent does not show up in BE12 console

AxL
Level 3
Hi,

I have the problem that the Exchange Agent does not show up on my Media Server. I have already installed the Agent on the Server but Exchange does not show up in the Selections List of the BE12 console . When I try to push the agent to the Exchange Server it is not included in the list of possible agents.
My configuration is as follows:
Media Server 2003 R2 (32bit), Exchange Admin Tools (32bit) installed, BE12 and Exchange Agent are Trail/Evaluation Licenses (no license code entered, but "Exchange Agent" is checked).

I think 32bit OS is supported for the Media Server (the Exchange Servers are 64bit of course)?

Thank you in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the remote agent installed and running on the Exchange Server?

AxL
Level 3
not so far - because i wanted to do a push installation, but the exchange agent is not on the list of the selectable agents...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The Exchange "Agent" is actually just a serial that unlocks the Exchange funtionality on the media server.  BackupExec will not connect to any remote serverOS machine unless you have a RemoteAgent running on it.

You can do a silent/local install of the agent - see

AxL
Level 3
Thank you for your quick answer and your support!

So that mean that i cannot do a push installation of the exchange agent to the exchange server from the Media server at all?
Hmm, the link you gave me lead me to the instructions how to install the Remote Agent for Windows Servers. The install of the RAWS *IS* an option that i have in the push agent dialog box of my BE12 Mgmt. console. Does that mean that the Exchange Agent will be automatically installed on the Exchange Server when i do a install of the RAWS???

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As I said

The Exchange "agent" is just a serial that unlocks the Exchange interface on the media server.  It is not actually code that gets installed on the Exchange Server. 

If the appropriate database serial is installed on the media server, the Remote Agent will allow "hot" backups for SQL, Exchange, Sharepoint, Notes etc  databases

AxL
Level 3
Ok, thank you for that clarification!
So the next step is to get the agent on the Exchange server.
Just to make it clear for me - can that be done by installing the RAWS via push method from the media server and then the exchange agent will be automatically included?
Or can i install it locally on the Exchange server with my BE12 CD?
Or is this http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/258982.htm the only way to do it?

Thank you!

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Just push install the remote agent, using the BE Admin Console, Tools, Install Agents...

AxL
Level 3
Thank you for your answer. It was not clear to me that there is no extra software to install......

susanthas-123
Level 3
Hi Axl,

As the otehr memebr mentioned for you there are no seperate agents at all for Exchange or SQL or AD!!! Even I was confused earlier and thinking how they wil do exchange or SQL database backup. Looks like the RAWS agent got everything built in. But all the features will be unlocked through that serial number. So if you managed to push install the normal windows agent for the Exchange that's it. Because you're running the trial version by default all the agent features are availble for you.