cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backup - Absolute Minimum?

Mark_Mems
Level 3
Partner
We use D2D to backup our Exchange 2003 server. Limiting disk space usage on the D2D server is more important than a quick recovery. What is the absolute minimum that must be backed up in order to restore Exchange? My DR plan is to get the new server, install Windows, install Exchange, install Backup Exec, then recover the stores from D2D. In this case, is it enough to just use the agent and back up the information stores? Don't bother bashing the plan. It's a management decision. ;) Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

SteveVRTS
Level 6
Employee
Ok, I'll hold off on the bashing per your request. Smiley Wink

The bare minimum would really be a backup of just the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.  One thing that is going to make your DR "plan" go much more smooth is if you install exchange with a /disasterrecovery switch in the event of a disaster recovery.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Information store, as suggested. You should also really have a backup of your Active Directory data too.

Mark_Mems
Level 3
Partner
Thanks both for the comments. I've done plenty of /dr to move stores to new hardware, so if our server fails that would be a relaxing day for me. Smiley Wink Yes, we backup AD on our DCs.