cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backup—GRT Processing Hangs at 0 of N backup selections

Brian_G__Shackl
Level 3

I'm running Backup Exec 2014, and backing up an Exchange 2007 server. For a good amount of time, everything was going well. Recently, however, after a change to one of the storage groups (Disabling circular logging), the job hangs immediately after GRT processing begins. The latest job has gone for 36 hours without processing any Storage Groups for GRT data. The backup, itself, is only taking about four hours.

Any thoughts on what will cause this, or what debugging I could turn up to get more information?

Thanks,
Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

Also, are the Exchange Management tools* installed on the Backup Exec media server? 

* Note: same version as the Exchange Management tools installed on the Exchange server.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74428

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124453

Brian_G__Shackl
Level 3

The only things I'm seeing in SGMon are:
2639    BESERVER    2808    10/23/2014 12:32:52 PM    3152    -1 ActiveState::doStatusEvent('$hostname Backup 00006-Full'): JobStatus=16 OperationStatus=52 EngineStatus=22 ActiveResourceContainerID=BBC0C7FA-8519-443D-B9A5-0B4805C0F040 AbortStatus=0

And events similar to:

2641    BEREMOTE    2460    10/23/2014 12:32:54 PM    3000    [fsys\shared]        - [memento::OpenRead] - \\?\E:\BEData\IMG000069\pdi_state.txt

Unfortunately, I can't find much information about the OperationStatus or EngineStatus codes. JobStatus of 16 appears to indicate that the job is active, which fits with what I'm seeing in the console.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

have you been able to reboot the Exchange server?  

Brian_G__Shackl
Level 3

We have not rebooted the Exchange server, yet. I can make that recommendation, but it would be helpful to know how it would help. I am under the impression that GRT processing happens on the Backup Exec server.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you restart the exchange information store services after disabling circular logging ? If its a DAG then did you restart it on all nodes?

Brian_G__Shackl
Level 3

I'm sorry, I was incorrect before. Yes, the Exchange server has been restarted after circular logging was disabled. We also had one successful backup, including circular logging, since that change was made. It looks like it was a day afterward that the issues with GRT started occurring.

On another note, although I terminated the last full job manually before GRT claimed to process the backup selections, the catalog job that started up afterward finished successfully, as well. I just successfully restored a single piece of mail from that backup. 

It almost seems as if GRT is functioning properly, but not reporting its status to the console, or the job management engine.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So you can restore single items but the job in the console is still running ?

Is it only GRT jobs that show this behaviour ?

Do you see any process crashes related to backup exec un eventviewer ?

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Which version of exchange are you using?

did you check the HCL? http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH217478/be_2014_scl.html#agent_for_applications_and_databases_compatibility

did you had a look at the technote mentioned in the HCL? http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740

Brian_G__Shackl
Level 3

I managed to restore single items from a job which was cancelled after 36 hours or so, but had no progress reported on the GRT Processing step. Prior to restoring items from this job, a catalog job ran successfully.

The GRT Processing step is the only spot where I've seen any issues so far. The Exchange server is the only routine backup running, however, so it is possible that there are other issues that I have not encountered.

I do not see any application crashes on the server within the time period that we've been experiencing problems.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Then I would check what Jurgen says to see if your Exchange is supported, if so I recommend to log a formal support case since I think this is some sort of bug.

Maybe a repair install of backup exec could help but I am not sure.

lmosla
Level 6

Also, are the Exchange Management tools* installed on the Backup Exec media server? 

* Note: same version as the Exchange Management tools installed on the Exchange server.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74428

Brian_G__Shackl
Level 3

I just installed them today; hopefully that makes a difference. I should know tomorrow.

Brian_G__Shackl
Level 3

lmosla, it appears that the Exchange Management Tools were the issue. They had not been loaded on the Backup Exec server. Strangely enough, there was a point where we were getting successful GRT backups. I believe my timing may have been off, and it was after the installation of SP1 when we started having trouble. Were there any changes to how GRT processing for Exchange works for SP1?

At any rate, or problem is solved.