cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backup Problems

Damian_Gill
Not applicable
Hey all,

I am having issues getting Veritas to backup our exchange mailboxes and public folders at brick level. The error veritas is coming back with is:

Server is running Windows 2003 Standard Server (No SP1)
Exchange is installed on the same server as Veritas.
Im running Veritas 9.1 Rev 4691

"Job ended: 02 June 2005 at 02:22:55
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Backup - \\WESTONB-DCUnable to attach to \\WESTONB-DC\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.
Unable to attach to \\WESTONB-DC\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.
Unable to attach to \\WESTONB-DC\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
Unable to attach to \\WESTONB-DC\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes."

The backup is completing all other parts of the job, the entire message store, c: drive, e: drive and one other remote server via an agent without any probs.

I tried creating a new backup job and trying to select the mailboxes and public folders using the administrator account as its credentials but it keeps saying access denied... Ive checked all the security permissions within the exchange manager on the mailbox store and public folder store, these are all on default and havent been messed with. Everything from an exchange point of view in terms of accessing mailboxes through the administrator account is all ok.

Ive also tried creating a new backup account and given it domain admin privs but this still comes back with access denied when I select either the public folders or the exchange mailboxes.

This was working fine up until a couple of weeks ago but nothing has changed since then. Has got me stumped!! Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks in advance,

Damo
2 REPLIES 2

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
I just posted these tips on another thread, check these and then post if it continues.

Some general tips on Exchange and Mailbox backups with BE logon accounts:

Exchange:
1) BE Logon Account needs full admin rights to Exchange, from Organization all the way down. Sometimes after a W2K3 SP1 install, this needs to be changed to "Exchange Administrator" instead.
2) BE Logon Account needs rights of course to access the server the Exchange server runs on.

Mailbox:
1) BE Logon account needs FULL rights to an existing unique mailbox. (verify in AD that under permissions the mailbox has ALLOW next to the account, not DENY)
2) Mailbox used by BE logon account must NOT be hidden from global address list. This is on the AD user page called Exchange Advanced tab, make sure the "Hide from Exchange Address List" is not selected.
3) Verify the mailbox can be accessed and mail can be sent from and received while using the chosen Logon Account. The mailbox usually has to be intialized (logged into at least once) prior to working correctly.

Public Folders:
1) Similar to Mailbox, make sure the BE Logon account has rights to the public folders. Ie: make it an 'Owner' of the folders.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know whether the earlier response has helped you resolve the issue.

Thanks,
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.