cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange GRT to Backup-to-Disk Folder keeps growing

Foursquare
Level 2

I created a Backup-to-Disk folder of the form \\server\sharename for holding GRT backups of MS Exchange 2010.

I only need one backup of this but, no matter what settings I change, I cannot stop "IMG" folders being added in every time the backup takes place and therefore this folders grows by a tens of gigabytes every week!

I have set Media Overwrite Protection = None but, apologies, I am just not "getting" how to force an overwrite each time

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think just changing the protection level will help with GRT reclaims - as a reclaim is a delete operation not an overwrite it still uses the media set timings

As such you need to set the media sets used by the jobs to say 12 hours overwrite protection  and 0 days append period - note the overwrite protection  in this instance for a daily repeat would be 24 hours minus (the number of hours a job takes plus a little extra for unforeseen timescale changes) I have used 12 hours on the assumption that your backup job takes less than 12 hours to run

You also must start the Exchange job as an overwrite.

However we would not recommend this sequence as the next backup is not complete before the first backup has been deleted and if you have a failure mid backup job then you will have lost all ability to restore. As such you should keep at least one backup set until at least the next job has completed sucessfully, so overwrite protection shoudl be at least 36 hours (using same assumption as above)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB

1) Configure backup jobs to overwrite.

2) In BE console->Click on Tools->Options->Media Management->Select below options

a) Overwrite Protection level --- Partial

b) Use recycable media before using scratch media

Colin_Weaver

I don't think just changing the protection level will help with GRT reclaims - as a reclaim is a delete operation not an overwrite it still uses the media set timings

As such you need to set the media sets used by the jobs to say 12 hours overwrite protection  and 0 days append period - note the overwrite protection  in this instance for a daily repeat would be 24 hours minus (the number of hours a job takes plus a little extra for unforeseen timescale changes) I have used 12 hours on the assumption that your backup job takes less than 12 hours to run

You also must start the Exchange job as an overwrite.

However we would not recommend this sequence as the next backup is not complete before the first backup has been deleted and if you have a failure mid backup job then you will have lost all ability to restore. As such you should keep at least one backup set until at least the next job has completed sucessfully, so overwrite protection shoudl be at least 36 hours (using same assumption as above)

Foursquare
Level 2

Thank you to both responses indicating that Media Overwrite Protection Level set to None doesn't apply in this case.

(Sorry I cannot set both as a solution)