cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Help!

Jellyman_4eva
Level 3
Hi,

I am really sorry for this, but even from just googling there is a large number of links to read and I have ready many and still do not have a clue as to where to go with this!

I have recently come into a new job which has an Exchange 2003 SP1 cluster with 1 active and 1 passive node. It has the Exchange Remote Agent installed, however there are no backups taking place currently so I need to get something in place quickly!

I understand that I do not want to perform "brick" level backup and want to backup the entire storage groups, but I am unsure as regards the use of the Recovery Storage Group, which I have seen various mentions of problems with if I use Snapshot technology??

What is this and how do I disable it, and how does it affect backup times?

Any help would be really appreciated.
1 REPLY 1

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Not sure of your question.

- not doing mailbox backups - good decision, in MY opinion.
However, be sure you check the event logs on the Exchange server and the log file folders after backup runs, to make sure the transaction logs are flushing properly.  - don't need to do this all the time, but initially until you are confident all is working properly.

Recovery Storage Group - "disable it" ??
The RSG is a feature of Exchange 2003 that is there for you to use when you need to RESTORE.
It means you can restore all or part of an Exchange SG to a "temporary" area, leaving your production SGs running.

The Exchange recommendation is, that if you use it for a restore, you empty it once that restore is finished.
So, if you follow that rec., it has no affect on backup times.