cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Incremental Mailboxes Backups running very slow

Thomas__Tomoff
Level 4
Hello,

Our Exchange Incremental Backups take 20 - 22 hrs to backup 5 - 7 GB of data. Sometimes, the first Incremental Backup of the week may back up in a normal 8-9 hour period, and then the rest of week, it would average 22 hrs. completion time for the same amount of data. It always slows down with the Exchange Mailboxes. All the other drives backup at a normal throughput rate.
What kind of times are the rest of you getting out there? Have any of you had similar issues? Any advice toward resolving this perplexing issue will be much appreciated.
Regards,
ttomoff@sparinc.com
5 REPLIES 5

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello Thomas,

-- What is the version of Exchange you are using?

-- Is it a local backup or remote?

-- Are you using the Advanced Open File Option for the Exchange backups? If yes,then it is recommended not to use this option for the Exchange backups.

-- Is any Antivirus also running during the backups. For test purposes stop the Antivirus,create a new job and then verify the results.

====================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Thomas__Tomoff
Level 4
Hello Rucha,

Thank you so very much for responding. We are using Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server. It is a remote backup server, and it backs up a network from multiple out of town locations. Yes, we are using Advanced Open File Option for the Exchange Backups. May I ask why it is not recommended to use it? What is the advantage of it? Let me again repeat that sometimes, it does backup at a normal elapsed period of time such as coincidentally last night. Then, it reverts to a 21-22 hour backup for the remainder of the week while the Exchange Full backup completes in a normal expected elapsed time. This is what makes it puzzeling.
Our Exchange Server is Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. We are usng McAfee VirusScan Enterprise8.0i, McAfee Group Shield. Yes, it was turned on. We have disabled the On Access Scanner for tonight's scheduled Exchange Incremental Backup Job. We'll see whether we can get a normal elapsed time backup completion for 2 consecutive nights which will be a milestone. Still though, it does not make sense why the results would be inconsistent. Hopefully, we will begin to see some miracles here.
I will update you tomorrow. Again, thank you so very much for your offer of help! I hope you will have a most pleasant evening.

Regards,

Thomas Tomoff
ttomoff@sparinc.com

Rehan_Shaikh
Level 3
Hi All,

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem as Thomas. We also have exchange 2003 with groupshield 6.0 with SP3 (latest service pack) and running virus scan enterprise 8.0 with patch 10 also the latest patch available from MacAfee. This applies the same for the veritas software.

This problem arose 2-3 weeks ago, before the problem I was able to back up the individual mailboxes (20GB) in 3-4 hours. The same job (with the data unchanged, hence still at 20GB) now has not completed since. I left the job running once for 48 hours but to no success. I was forced to cancel the job after this period as there are several other jobs that need to be running.

I have also been in working with McAfee with regards to this problem, as before in previous post it was suggested it might be an antivirus issue. With McAfee’s guidance I have given the veritas software full control and bypass access when performing backups. This has improved backup times for all other backup jobs except the individual mailbox up.

The problem is becoming critical as the new educational year has started for students who require mailbox backup, which we are currently unable to provide. Currently we are forced to backup the mailbox store, which completes with no lag in time.

Please could someone help.

Thomas__Tomoff
Level 4
Hello Rucha,

It is now the next morning, and our Exchange Incremental Backup is still running. Disablling the On Access Scanner does not appear to have any influence upon this backup. It appears that it will be another 20+ hr. backup again. Let me repeat that it is only the Exchange Mailboxes that slows down. The size of the Exchange Mailboxes does not change very much. It only slows down when it gets to the Exchange Mailboxes. Furthermore, all of our other backups that we run have not given us this problem. They have all run at a consistent throughput rate. It is only the Exchange Incremental Mailboxes that seems to slow down. Our Exchange Full Backup does not even give us this problem. It has, thus far, completed at an expected elapsed completion time. I will eagerly await your reply. Thank you again so much for your offer of help.

Regards,

Thomas Tomoff
ttomoff@sparinc.com

Thomas__Tomoff
Level 4
Hello Again,

I ran across Document ID : 271316 which recommends using the "Incremental Modified Time" method, and selecting "Windows Change Journal". In exploring other threads, I have read some controversy using this method for Exchange Backups. I am not going to try it without getting some feedback. I don't want to mess anything further up here.
Whosoever, please advise, as well as with further suggestions. Agan, thank you all for your continued efforts for help toward a resolution for this most challenging issue.

Regards,

Thomas Tomoff
ttomoff@sparinc.com