cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Information Store Backup Fails After Install of Exchange 2003 SP2

Ernie_DeVries
Level 2
I'm running BackupExec 10.1 Rev 5629 and Microsoft Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition on a Dell PowerEdge 4600 dual-Xeon CPU server. The server is also a DC.

Backups of the Microsoft Information Store were successful under the initial installation of Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition. I never installed Exchange SP1, but went straight to Exchange SP2. This backup is of the IS on the local server. After installing Exchange SP2 my backup fails with the following log entries. No changes were made to any security settings in either Exchange or Backup Exec. The only change made to the server was the installation of Exchange SP2.

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 at 1:22:26 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \\SRVRNAME\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to database Mailbox Store (SRVRNAME).

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- \\SRVRNAME\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group WARNING: "\\SRVRNAME\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (SRVRNAME)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

The event log shows this generic error:
Event Type:Error
Event Source:Backup Exec
Event Category:None
Event ID:34113
Date:2/1/2006
Time:1:22:26 AM
User:N/A
Computer:SRVRNAME
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "SRVRNAME") (Job: "Daily - SRVRNAME - DLT1") Daily - SRVRNAME - DLT1 -- The job failed with the following error: Access is denied.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Resources Resource Credentials
SRVRNAME System Logon Account
C:
First Storage Group
6 REPLIES 6

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You can refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/266178

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ernie_DeVries
Level 2
I am aware of this document. This does not explain how my backups, which were running fine and obviously had the correct security, are now failing after installing Exchange 2003 SP2. The account for running Exchange services has not changed and the settings within Backup Exec have not changed, yet I am receiving the failure indicated.

Justin_Nigh
Not applicable
This error is probably occurring due to enhanced security features that Microsoft has added in SP1 and SP2.

I experienced a similar problem; In my case, after upgrading from SP1 to SP2, I could no longer select the exchange resources in the backup selection list. I had to enable restrict anonymous support for backup exec as described in the following tech article to see the resources again.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/276930.htm

Did the link the Veritas support provide solve the account login issue for you? If so, I hope my information helps explain why you received the error following the SP1 upgrade.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Ernie!

You could try backing up using ntbackup.exe to test the backup of the Information Store!

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

colin_weiner_2
Level 2
I had a similar issue. We upgraded our Exchange cluster form Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP4 (I think?) / Exchange 2003 SP1 to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP1 / Exchange 2003 SP1. Before the upgrade, I could backup the Exchange DB but after upgrading the OS, I could not. When I would go into the backup job, I could not select the DB, it did not show up. Once I enabled restrict anonymous support, I was able to backup the DBs.

-Colin

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.