cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox Restore Failed – Access is denied (a008488)

fraunkd
Level 2

I’m dealing with a rather frustrating issue and need help from an expert. When trying to restore an Exchange mailbox, the restore fails after about a minute with an error: a008488 – Access is denied.

Backup Exec version: 9.1 Rev. 4691

Backup Exec server: 2003, standard, SP2

Exchange version: 2003, SP2 (6.5.7638.1)

Exchange server: 2003, standard, SP2

What’s strange is that the mailboxes can be backed up without issue. Even the restore of a single email within a mailbox restores without issue. I only receive this error when trying to restore a complete mailbox.

I’ve read though several articles and have done or verified the following:

• Backup Exec agent is running on the Exchange server with the correct, Backup Exec account info
  • Backup Exec account is a member of the following groups:
    • Local administrator of the Exchange server
    • Administrators
    • Domain Admins
    • Domain Users
    • Enterprise Admins
    • Exchange Domain Servers
    • Exchange Services
  • Backup Exec account has been grated the role Exchange Full Administrator
  • Backup Exec account has been granted Receive As and Send As rights on the individual mailbox stores
  • Backup Exec account is NOT hidden from the Exchange address list
  • Mailbox rights for the Backup Exec account are set to allow for everything except Associated external account

Using the Backup Exec account I can log into a computer, open Outlook and then successfully open any mailbox I choose.

I receive the same error whether I have the job setting “Automatically recreate user accounts and mailboxes” enabled or not.

I have even recreated the mailbox, logged into Outlook of the mailbox in question using the Backup Exec account and then ran the restore with the same error. In the second attempt, I used the Exchange Redirection option to point the restore to the same Exchange server and same mailbox and received the same access is denied error as well.

I do not understand this security issue. The current security allows for mailboxes to be backed up, allows for the restore of individual email within a mailbox, and allows access to mailboxes via Outlook using the Backup Exec service account – but will not allow for the restore of a mailbox. I have no errors or warnings for this in the event viewer of both servers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Jeff_Nelson_2
Level 3
We are having the same issue with Symantec Backup Exec 12 rev. 1364, Exchange 2003 SP2, and Windows Server 2003 SP2. Any further information would be appreciated.

Exhpro
Not applicable

I had the same exact issue. I tried everything possible.  Including everything you have listed. Spent many hours trying anything just to get it to work.

My  BIG solution was

"JUST RESET THAT USERS PASSWORD TO A BLANK PW"