cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Public Folder restore error - Unable to attach to a resource

Hugh_Ogilvy
Not applicable
Using Backup Exec 10.0, when i'm attempting to restore a Public Folder to Exchange 2003, I am getting the following error:

e000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

I have made sure that I have dismounted the Exchange Public Folders, and set the properties so that "This database can be overwritten by a restore".

In the restore job in Backup Exec, I have confirmed that all permissions / credentials are correct, and also tried using all the settings:
"Dismount database before restore"
"Commit after restore completes"
"Mount database after restore"

I have checked Veritas forums, and tried all the setting they suggested (as above) to do a successfull Exchange restore, but I am still getting this error.
Can anyone help me here? All help / suggestions, etc, would be MUCH appreciated.

Regards.
2 REPLIES 2

Brian_Long
Level 3
Does the restore account have "Editor" permission on the existing folder?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

1. Ensure that the logon account you are using to perform the backup is a member of Domain Admin Group and Local Admin Group of Exchange Server.

2. (Exchange 2000) Start Exchange System Manager -> Right click the organization to start "Delegate control" wizard and grant logon account "Exchange Full Administrator" rights. (Exchange 5.5) Start Exchange Administrator, select the Site or Server and Go to Files > Properties and click on the 'Permission tab' and add the logon account. After adding the logon (Step # 1) account, grant 'Admin' role to it.

3. Ensure that you have created a mailbox for logon account. Send some mails to other users from this mailbox.

4. Make sure this account (Step # 1)is common logon account. To accomplish this follow the steps given below.
- Start Backup Exec
- Select Tools > Wizards > Logon account wizard
- Add new logon account, type in the credential for the new account.
- Make this account a common logon account.
- Complete the wizard.

5. Also, make the Backup Exec service account a member of Domain Admin Group and Local Admin Group of Exchange server.

6. Create a new backup job and perform the backup.

We suggest you to select mailboxes for backup from the root of the selection list. Make sure that system, deleted, hidden and moved mailboxes are not selected.

Also refer to the technotes below:
Title:- "Unable to attach to one of the drives" error is reported while backing up remote systems

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259874.htm

Title:- "Unable to attach to one of the drives" (a000848c HEX or e000848c HEX) is reported when a job fails

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266177.htm

( Also refer the related documents too mentioned in the above technote )

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.