cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 98, Desperately need info!

Philip_Brewer
Level 2
We have a client who was running windows 98 se with a seagate STT8000A travan tape backup drive. The software he was using for backup was Seagate Backup Exec (don't know which version). He has since done an in place upgrade to Windows XP. The client ignored the compatability report which said this software was incompatible with Windows XP and proceeded with the upgrade. Now backup exec is hosed and we cannot restore some VERY critical data. I know that backup exec v.10 is not backward compatible so what are my options for restoring this format of backup. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does the client have another Win98 machine left that you can put the old version of BackupExec on?

IIRC, the BackupExec Desktop versions used a different tape fdormat than the Server Versions which use MTF, so must be restored with the a Desktop edition

Do you have a machine that could be formated to Win98 and loaned to the client for the restore? A trial version of BackupExec for Desktops might be the way to go if you cannot find the original install media

Philip_Brewer
Level 2
The client does not have the backup exec installation media anymore. I have tried to locate the backup exec for desktops trial version on the site but cannot find it you couldn't post a link could you? Thanks for the pointers.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
All I can find are updates, but they require Desktop98 to be installed, or for the install CD t be available.

Guess you are down to the Auction sites (or shhhhh - P2P)

Sorry.

Philip_Brewer
Level 2
Thanks for all the advice Ken. I have located a copy of Backup Exec v 4.5 My understanding is that this will run on Windows 2000 Pro but not XP. This version should, in theory, be able to open the backup format from 98 correct? If this is the case I will have the customer bring the tape to my office and do the recovery here in my shop.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
To the best of my knowledge (never actually supporting any version of BackupExec Desktop) yes. That ought to work

Again, good luck

Philip_Brewer
Level 2
What I have done is installed tightVNC server on his machine and remote controlled his machine to download the installation files from my ftp server. Then installed the Backup Exec desktop 4.5 on his machine and installed it in 2000 compatibility mode restored the data to a single directory and verified everything imported correctly. Thanks for all the help Ken.

Paul_Sirianni
Level 2
Phillip,

I posted a thread recently with a similar problem...

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=61032&tstart=0

Where did you get the 4.5 version of Backup Exec Desktop? I downloaded a trial version from a shareware site (cannot remember which one) and tried installing it but the installer complained that my Windows 2000 OS was incompatible. So I tried compatibility mode (Windows NT, Windows 98, Windows 95) and the installer still wouldn't install the application. If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.