cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Restore from Tape with encryption fails

JOLA
Level 2
Restoring from an encrypted tape backup fails with error V-79-57344-3857 (0xe0000f11 - Beim Entschlüsselungsversuch ist ein Fehler aufgetreten) which translates to "an error occured while trying to decrypt"

BE Version 11d on Windows 2003 Server with all hotfixes applied, I have since also upgraded to 7170. Exchange 2003 on another Windows 2003 Server, recovery storage group enabled. Backup was made of the information store with GRT and encryption enabled.

Other "normal" files could be restored successfully, restoring the information store (tried with a single mailbox as well as the complete information store) runs for about 20 minutes and then fails with the above message. Shortly before the job aborts, the local beremote on the backup server crashes (in module ndmpsrvr.dll).

I have also tried duplicating from tape to disc, this job aborts trying to initialize encryption (V-79-57344-3852).
Since upgrading to 7170, the restore job also fails at once with this error (3852) instead of 3857 after 20 minutes.

If I run the backup job without encryption, I can successfully restore to the recovery storage group, but our customer needs data from the encrypted tape.

Initially I also thought it might be storage space on the backup server since there was only just enough space for one copy of the exchange databases, but trying the job again on an additional hard disk with about ten times as much free space failed with the same error.

I have read some posts here that describe similar errors; does restoring an encrypted exchange backup work at all or am I out of luck?

Andre Canis
JOLA Soft- und Hardware

2 REPLIES 2

JOLA
Level 2
Slight correction: I get Error V-79-57344-3857 when I try to restore single mailboxes. The job creates an IMGxxxxxx folder and files and then runs for about 20 minutes. Then beremote.exe crashes and the job is aborted. Right from the start the job claims to have already transferred 685MB (mailbox store is 25BG). After about 15 minutes, it jumps once to 686MB where it stays until the job aborts. Time of crash and number of bytes transferred stay the same when trying to restore different mailboxes.

Error V-79-57344-3852 occurs when I try to restore the complete mailbox store. No IMGxxxxxx folder is created and the job runs for a minute without transferring any bytes before aborting, this time without crashing beremote.

JOLA
Level 2
Update: I thought I had also upgraded the remote agent on the Exchange server, but apparently didn't.
After upgrading the agent to 7170, a restore of the complete mailbox store succeeded, although I did not try restoring single mailboxes yet.

So issue seems to be resolved with 7170.