cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Server 2007 backup Write to tape directly

Symanticus
Level 6

Hi All,

Is it advisable or OK to write the backup data of Exchange Server 2007 mailbox into LTO-3 tape directly after the office hours ?

what about the data verification if somehow there are new emails coming in during the backup period ?

rather than Disk to Disk to Tape.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Data verification doesn't mean verifying backed data with the original.

BE will make sure that the media used for backup can be read once.

There is no issue in backing up to tape.

But to restore individual public folder messages from tape, you must first duplicate the backup sets that contain the messages to a backup-to-disk folder. You can then restore the data from that folder.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Definitely.  Tape is the medium of choice before disk becomes cheap enough for storage of backups.

The new e-mails will be included in your next backup.

There is no difference in backing up to disk or tape, just that the medium is different.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Data verification doesn't mean verifying backed data with the original.

BE will make sure that the media used for backup can be read once.

There is no issue in backing up to tape.

But to restore individual public folder messages from tape, you must first duplicate the backup sets that contain the messages to a backup-to-disk folder. You can then restore the data from that folder.

Symanticus
Level 6

ah, so in this case only the backup window time that is longer if i put that into tape, anything else will be backed up as it should I assume (no difference) ?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No difference will be there other than backup window.

Symanticus
Level 6

thanks Kiran and pkh for the explanation, i just knew about the "restore individual message from public folder" tricks :)

I appreciate your reply.

Cheers,

Albert

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are using Backup Exec 2010 you can restore the Individual public folder directly from tapes. There is no need to duplicate it from tape top disk to restore individual Public folder.

From Backup Exec 2010 you will be able to see the individual Public folders from on tapes too.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Symanticus
Level 6

wow, thanks Sush for your comments, that'd be very helpful knowledge to know :)

Cheers,

Albert

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, with BE 2010 also to restore individual public folder messages from tape you must first duplicate the backup sets that contain the messages to a backup-to-disk folder. Public folders on tape will not show any content.

Checkout pg no 1129 of BE2010 admin guide for more information...

You can find BE 2010 admin guide here.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77887

Best Regards.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Kiran and Albert,

Thanks for pointing to the information in the Admin guide. But from our Internal information and testing we have found that we are able to see and restore individual Public folders from tapes from Backup Exec 2010.

This is due to the change in the backup procedure where previously MAPI was used to fetch the data for GRT restore. But now with Backup Exec 2010 MAPI is not used to get the information of individual Public folder and so it works and its FULLY SUPPORTED too.

I will raise the concern to the appropriate team to make the changes in the Admin guide and you see the change soon.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@Sush

Really thanks for the information provided.

I also will try it out..

Best Regards.

Symanticus
Level 6

thanks Sush and Kiran once again, it is good to know it before the disaster occurs, in this way we can think clearly and know which way to go.