cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Storage Group backup failing

Kurtis_Franklin
Level 4
We have recently begun getting the following error when backing up the exchange storage group on an Exchange 2003 server:

Backup- \\SERVERNAME\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-1018 There is a checksum error on a database page. '

The only change before this started failing was the addition of a second storage group. It has been added to the backup selection list and the credentials are accurate. Test runs of this job complete successfully.

What solutions are there for fixing this problem? We can't go without Exchange backups.
4 REPLIES 4

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Hi Kurtis -

You may have an error in your database at the page level. I would suggest running the Esefile.exe utility to detect and repair the -1018 error your receiving. Here is a document from Microsoft regarding your Exchange database error:

I hope this helps!

- Jared

Kurtis_Franklin
Level 4
Rather than take a worst case scenario approach, we simply moved the single mail box that was on the new storage group, and that allowed the job to complete properly. Is this a problem that we need to solve with BUE or exchange? I would assume that if exchange is fine (which it was in this case) that BUE would back it up, but it doesn't seem to be so.

Jared_S_
Level 6
Employee
Thanks for the update Kurtis. What prompted you to move the single mailbox? Were you receiving a particular error with it in the job log?

- Jared

Kurtis_Franklin
Level 4
We decided to try and "undo" any of the changes that were done prior to the jobs failing. As our first store starts to grow, we wantded to be proactive in creating a second storage group. To test the new storage group we had one user's mailbox there. Once that mailbox was moved back to the First Storage Group from the second, the incremental backup ran with no problems at all.

However, the Full backup that we typically run at night is still failing with the same error. I guess the differential didn't find the problem that the full backup did.