cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Store not visible after installing the remote agent

Robert_I_
Level 3
After installing Version 10, but before installing the Exchange agent, our mail store is visible through Backup Exec (but greyed out, obviously). However, after installing the Exchange agent, we cannot locate the mail store. For whatever reason, the store is hidden once the agent gets installed, thus preventing us from backing up any mailboxes.

Client is installed on Windows Server 2000, Exchange Agent is installed on a Windows 2003 machine running Exchange 2003. Have all the latest service packs and updates and also tried re-installing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Robert_I_
Level 3
*bump*

Anyone have any ideas?

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Can you clarify what you mean by the "Client" which is installed on a different server to your Exchange server?

It sounds to me as if you are saying that the Exchange server is installed on a different server to the Backup Exec server. Unless things have changed with BEWS 10 (haven't actually used remote Exchange backup on v10 yet), the Exchange agent needs to be installed on the Backup Exec server, not the Exchange server itself, as it's a license rather than an actual piece of agent software like the remote agent.

Robert_I_
Level 3
Maybe I worded my post wrong. We did install the Exchange agent on the BE server. The Exchange server has the BE remote agent, like all of our other servers.

It's after installing the Exchange agent on the same machine as the Backup Exec server that we run into problems viewing the mail store.

Does that clarify things for you?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

The Exchange license has to be installed on the media server and the remote agent on the remote server.

Check that the remote agent service is running under Local syatem account on the media as well as the remote server

Thanks

Robert_I_
Level 3
Tejashree: thanks for the reply.

We have gone through numerous troubleshooting to make sure everything has been installed properly. Needless to say, we confirmed that the Remote Agent Service is running as Local System on both the media and Exchange servers. The Exchange license has also been installed on the media server.

Has anyone else reported this issue? It looks like a bug to us. We've never had this problem before with previous versions of Backup Exec.

Thanks.

Robert_I_
Level 3
Can we please get a little insight as to what's going on here? We need to get this issue resolved. Thank you.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Robert,

We do apologize for the delay in response.

Are the drives and (other folders + system state) on the Exchange server are greyed out? (or only the mailbox ,public folders)

Please verify that port 10,000 on the Exchange server is being utilized by remote agent service only.

This could be an issue with the rights also.

For this, please view the technote below:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276481

Thanks,

Robert_I_
Level 3
Allow me to clarify the symptoms. The Exchange Store is not grayed out, rather, it simply does not show up in the backup selections. It appears to be hidden. This is the same case with System State.

Please refer to the screen shot below to see the options that we have.

We are looking into the ports and the rights, but we did not used to have this problem with 8.x.

Also, you may notice that we are running a cluster with our Mail server. Perhaps this is playing an issue with this problem?