cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange VSS Writer error

ex5o5er
Level 4

I have a job where I am just backing up the Microsoft Information Stores.  The following error appears for the first storage group (there are no errors for the second storage group):

V-79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\xxxxx.xxxxx.local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Exchange Server, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during prepare snapshot operation (8).

I have checked the status of the writers using vssadmin on the server running Exchange and Microsoft Exchange Writer is shown as stable.  Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am quite new to Backup Exec and even Exchange.

2 REPLIES 2

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Refer this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136875

Regards.....

phartman
Level 4

Also check the exchange server logs to see if there is a message about a backup being attempted on a store when the store is in the process of being backed up.  When this has happened in my environment, unmounting and remounting  the information store has fixed the issue.