cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup is failing after installing hotfixes with BE 2010 R3 SP1

ShellyTK
Level 3

I have upgraded from Backup Exec 12.5 SP4 to Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP1 (which is installed on a media server Windows 2003 SP1). I was able to backup exchange (GRT) with BE 2010 SP1. However, as suggested by Symantec for an restore issue, I applied all the hot fixes. Now, exchange backups are failing with attached error. Job shows the backup size proportional to the exchange DBs, however mailboxes are not visible for restore selection.

Thanks for your helo in advance

Shelly

Job ended: Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 2:31:01 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759 

Errors

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- \\NPCCMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\test
V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified opti...

Backup Recommendations

The following backup sets contain Microsoft Exchange data. Due to the integration between Exchange and Active Directory Symantec recommends that you install and use the Active Directory Recovery Agent to better manage your Microsoft Exchange data:
    \\NPCCMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\test

To learn more about Backup Exec agents and options, go to http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-79-8192-58206.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ShellyTK
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

As suggested by one of the Tech support guy, I changed  the value in "Tools => Options => Restore => Granular Recovery Technology (on right side) from "C:\TEMP" to "D:\TEMP". Exchange backup started working. Somehow, backup fails only at this value as "C:\TEMP". It works even if put "C:\XYZ" .

However, now I am facing another issue, I can not restore mails from Exchange DBs larger than 30 GB size. Backup Exec restores only subject lines without the content body. I created a duplicate job to to make a copy to disk and tried restoring from there. Although duplicate job finished successfully, again it restores mails with subject line and without the content body.

Thanks in advance

Shelly

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

After updating the media server, did you update the remote agent on the exchange server ?

Also, do ensure AOFO is not selected for the exchange job & if backing up to a B2D or a removable B2D, do ensure that compression is not enabled...if it is enabled, uncheck the "Compress contents to save disk space" option & retry the backup...

ShellyTK
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

As suggested by one of the Tech support guy, I changed  the value in "Tools => Options => Restore => Granular Recovery Technology (on right side) from "C:\TEMP" to "D:\TEMP". Exchange backup started working. Somehow, backup fails only at this value as "C:\TEMP". It works even if put "C:\XYZ" .

However, now I am facing another issue, I can not restore mails from Exchange DBs larger than 30 GB size. Backup Exec restores only subject lines without the content body. I created a duplicate job to to make a copy to disk and tried restoring from there. Although duplicate job finished successfully, again it restores mails with subject line and without the content body.

Thanks in advance

Shelly

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

I will suggest 2 things in this case if you are doing restore only for testing purpose then you can enable logging by going to Hklm-software-symantec-backupexec-engine-logging- change the create debug value from 0 to 1 on Media server & exchange server & then run restore from disk & update beremote log of Media server & exchange server from C-program file-symantec-backupexec -logs directory

Also if this is sort of critical resotre right now please create RSG on exchange server & using backupexec do restore to RSG & then merge the content you required

Thank You

ShellyTK
Level 3

Hi all,

I started another forum topic to discuss the restore problem (as given below)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exchange-mail-job-restores-only-subject-line-without-...

Thanks and regards

Shelly