cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange errors

Christopher_Sam
Level 3
Here's the deal:

We keep getting failed notices due to exchange, and probably groupshield. They are due to emails that are unable to be found, or so the error reads. Why am I getting these errors?

What is the best method for backing up my exchange mailboxes?

Also, the differential and backups are taking forever. For a measely 50 Gb backup we're talking about 15-20 hours. What's the deal? Any way I can speed this up as well?

Thanks.

-Scott
7 REPLIES 7

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

--What is the exact error message ?
--What is the version of Exchange ?

How to protect Exchange 2000 and 2003 servers using the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Exchange Agent
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266074

Recommended configuration settings for Microsoft Exchange Server 2000/2003 for use with Backup Exec for Windows Servers.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274090.htm

Revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

Christopher_Sam
Level 3
Exchange 2000

The error messages are saying everything from access denied to a particular email to file not found in a mailbox. If the file isn't found, then how did it know it was there in the first place? LOL

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
This question comes up constantly.
First, are you doing Mailbox backups, or Information store backups?

If mailbox backups, not only are you not protecting your data, but that would totally account for your performance. Mailbox backups work by opening a MAPI session and simply downloading every individual email- it was never meant to run very fast.

If an email contains a virus or similar and is blocked by your scanner, you will receive this error.

Again, simply using the Information Store style backup usually resolves this.

Christopher_Sam
Level 3
The information store is enough to restore all mailboxes?

(I'm a little stupid in this area!)

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- The information store is enough to restore all mailboxes, but after you restore the whole information store you cannot restore a single mailbox from the information store

Thank You,

Shweta

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Put it this way:

If your server died in the ass, you would want to be able to restore your Information Store.

This would contain all required data.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please could you provide an update on this case.

Thanks