cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange information store restore

Level 3
No matter what I try i get access denied to database when trying to restore Informations stores in exchange. Account is Domain admin, enterprise admin, exchagne full admin and still I cannot access information stores.
7 REPLIES 7

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
When running a restore, you need to make sure all the mailbox stores in each storage group you are restoring are dismounted. If you are restoring the full information stores, then dismount ALL mailbox and public folder stores in every storage group.

Level 3
Yes all stores are dismounted and marked to be overwritten in system manager. I believe that the user is in all the correct groups. It is very strange that i cannot restore to this server

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Ok, what OS and Exchange version are you running? Are you only selecting to restore Exchange information?

Level 3
Running Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Can you turn your job logging on to FUll, highest level. (Tools\Options\Job Logs) and post the portion of the log where it fails.

Also, is this in a cluster or standard exchange on a server?

Level 3
Thank you for your help but i have gotten this to work. I created a new account in Active Directory. I then delegated control to this account to be a Exchange Full Administrator. I used this account to restore and have been able to get it to run. I think that one of the groups that the other account belongs to must be denied access for some reason. That would be strange though because I do use this account to backup the stores.

I have to say that the restore process is very slow. I am restoring 3 information stores totaling about 60 GB. At the rate the restore is going it is going to take about 8 hours to run.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We apologise for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Please let us know if your issue / problem is resolved so that we can mark this case as ‘assumed answered’ and move it to ‘answered threads’ pool. However, if the issues still persist then refer to the steps mentioned below:

This error can occur during the following situations:
1) When attempting to restore to a missing mailbox store with the Exchange 'Database can be overwritten by a log restore' database option enabled, Backup Exec returns 'Access denied to database mailbox store, Error writing file data'.
Exchange returns 'Information Store (3440) Callback Function call ErrESECBRestore GetDestination ended with error 0xC7FE1F42 Database not found'.

2) When attempting to restore over a mounted mailbox database with the Exchange 'Database can be overwritten by a log restore' database option enabled, Backup Exec returns 'Access denied to database mailbox store, Error writing file data'.
Exchange returns 'ErrESECBRestoreGetDestination ended with error 0xC7FE1F41 Database is in use'.

3) When attempting to restore over a new unmounted mailbox database with the Exchange 'Database can be overwritten by a log restore' database option enabled, Backup Exec returns 'Access denied to database mailbox store, Error writing file data'.
Exchange returns 'ErrESECBRestoreGetDestination ended with error 0xC7FE1F46 Database cannot be overwritten by a restore'.

The proper errors are reported by Exchange 2000. To correct these errors:

Situation 1: The mailbox must be recreated first before attempting the restore. Backup Exec cannot create mailboxes during a restore procedure. It may be required to 'REDIRECT' the restore to the newly created mailbox.

Situation 2: In order to perform a restore of the entire database (Mailbox Store), dismount the store first.

Situation 3: When performing a restore of a lost database (Mailbox Store), do not create a new store first. When performing the restore from Backup Exec, the store will be recreated.

Also verify the following:

1. The first 4 letters of the account used should be unique.
2. It should have an active mailbox in exchange.
3. The user should not be hidden in the global address list.
4. The account should have domain admin rights and full control in exchange.
5. The account being used should be of type 'common' in backup exec and should be defined as default account.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.