was being restored first, is this how it does it now?  In version 10 I
restored mailboxes or single messages straight from the tape.   Does the new
version restore the DB to a location first then restore the message or
mailbox from that?
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You selected "enable restore of individual items" on the IS backups right?  I

n this case, if the BKF file is on a locally attached NTFS drive (local to the media server), then just the selected items will be restored.  If the BKF file is on networked storage or tape, then yes, the entire IS is staged to temp space and the items are extracted.   (and Backupexec doesn't clean up after itself either)

You can still do Brick Level backups the old way, but they will still be as slow as ever

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 02-07-2008 12:13 PM

Gonzo_2
Level 2
Hi Ken,  I do use the option to "enable the restore of individual mail mesages and folders from Information Store backups"  straight to tape.  I guess I could also do a another job to disk space on the server for even quicker restore.

You mentioned the old brick level can be done, how?  The thing is the new method tapes 4 hours to tape and the old brick level took 80 hours! :)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
yeah, i'd stay away from 80 hour backups, too  Smiley Wink

From the Admin Guide page 1242

Check Enable legacy mailbox support to select individual mailboxes for backup with the Information Store. See “Backing up individual Exchange mailboxes” on page 1255 for a description of these fields. Note that a separate job to back up mailboxes is not necessary. See “About restoring individual mailboxes and folders from the Information Store” on page 1230.