cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding Files from Backup

archie31
Level 3

Hi all,

I have several corrupted and unreadable files that reside in one of our shared drives. I've given up in trying to delete these files as it's very much time consuming. So I would like to exclude these files from our backups since I've been getting a lot of error mesasges saying that it cannot backup/access those files. I've followed the steps provided on symantec, but still no luck. I still see the errors because it can't backup the corrupted files.

Any ideas on how to go about this for Backup Exec 2010?

-thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

There are a few reasons this can happen and turning on AOFO is applicable.  Refer here:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH90739

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

Hi archie31  see if this document does the trick  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22635

archie31
Level 3

Hi lmosia,

Thanks for the quick response, but that seems to be what i did. I went in,I entered the path, and click on the exclude button. The folders are empty so I don't put anything on the File field. Could that possibly be the cause of why it's not excluding?

-thanks

lmosla
Level 6

Please post the error you are getting when you try to make the exclusions , in the job log and any errors in Windows Event Logs that occur during the time of the backup job.

also do you have AOFO enabled in the job?  If not choose Advanced Option File Option under Job properties  and select ' System -  Use microsoft Shadow copy provider 'under snapshot provider.

archie31
Level 3

Hi,

The errors in the job log during the backup basically says: G:\Path\Folder1\Folder2\CorruptedFile1 was not found or could not be accessed. None of the files or subdirectories will be backed up.

And it goes like this for the other corrupted and unreadable files that can't be backed up.

Everything else works like a charm, no other errors or whatsoever. Backup Exec only misses these files.

-thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is Advanced Open File Option turned on?

THanks!

archie31
Level 3

Hi,

The Advanced Open File Option is turned off at this time, would enabling the setting help with this issue? May I ask what can the AOFO do that the Exclude/Include can't? I'd like to know for future reference.

-thanks!

lmosla
Level 6

There are a few reasons this can happen and turning on AOFO is applicable.  Refer here:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH90739

pkh
   VIP    Certified

AOFO is the technology to handle files which are opened by other programs/processes when the backup is being done.  Without AOFO, BE would not be able to back up these files.  You would always enable AOFO when you are backing up files/folders.  This would avoid the problem of perfectly good files being flagged ac corrupt by BE.

Excluding files, while not turning on AOFO, is to avoid the problem.