cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excluding Files from backup

ltjimster
Level 6

Hello,

I know how to exclude Files from Backup Exec 12.5, well i think  i've done it right, go into the properties of a scheduled job, Selections\include/exclude then put a path in, for example, \\servername\Dthen put in the file i want to exclude *.*exe.

I only seem to be able to do it for 1 job at a time. Can i do it for all of them at once I.E Global Exclusion or do i have to do it 1 by 1?

Plus is there any other files that anybody can think of that wouldn't be needed for students and staff in a secondary school?............ I've got EXE, TMP, BMP files at the moment, we really need to save space  :)

Thanks

James

30 REPLIES 30

ltjimster
Level 6

Didn't appear to of worked but i'm just going to double check

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for your response & what didn't appear to work is it not excluding the file from backup or what exactly is not working

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

I it did its just i think my back is much bigger than i thought even after exclude some file types.

I've marked it as solved anyways, i did work just need to find out what extra to exclude.

Thanks

James

ltjimster
Level 6

Sorry i didnt work just checked again and did a Test run and the size didn't decrease but when i went into an individual job and excluded the files i wanted to exclude manually it worked.

Thanks

James

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the "solution" that is marked previously does not work, you should clear it.  Otherwise, it is misleading.

ltjimster
Level 6

Cleared But does it take a while for it to go through to all the jobs if i Exclude globally?

Location i've been going to exclude gloablly, Tools\manage selection lists\excludes.

I've got about 20 jobs

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

As said in earlier comment when you exclude globally it will not be shown in view selection details of your job but it will exclude those for all the jobs & the best to place to check would be in restore windows

Also when you add an exclusion manually for a specific job then for that it is natural that you will see that in view selection details for that specific job

So my question is when you exclude it globally , for your schedule backup job it doesn't exclude those item ? have you confirmed the same by checking the size of backup job or by going to restore window

Let me know if that is the case so that I can help you

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

Hello,

I understand that bit about it not appearing in the selection list but when i did a test run the size of the backup didn't decrease, so i thought its not working.

But would you bloody believe its done it now   angry but when i was excluding it globally before the size remained the same and obviously when i excluded manually it did decrease in size.

It most just take time to go through or something, really sorry about this.

Let me test it on wednesday night and if all goes well i'll mark it as Solutions again

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

That sound to be good plan & hope should work fine

keep posted

Cheers

Thank You

ltjimster
Level 6

Sorted m8y, it most not of been going through straight for some reason.

It's appears to be working anyway :)

Thanks

James

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

HI

Thanks for all your responses much appreciated

Keep posted