cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired backup set wont disappear

big_d1
Level 2

Version: Backup Exec 15 Trial Version

I have a backup set on Disk that expired ages ago but wont disappear. If I right click and 'Expire', it doesnt get deleted. 

Its a Differential type backup from a job long gone (I inherited this job from admins long gone) but the host server is still being used for other jobs. It has no dependent backup sets. 

I can manually expire other backup sets in the same storage.

I've tried restarting the backup server, turning 'Allow Backup Exec to delete all expired sets' etc but none have had any effect.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'm all ears. I cannot raise a support request because this is a trial version.

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is the full backup set for this differential backup set still present?  If not, then this differential backup set could be orphaned and would probably need some manual manipulation by the support engineers to delete it.

big_d1
Level 2

The full backup set is no longer present. I've called Veritas support and they have politley refused to provide support because this is a trial version.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
By right, the full backup set should not be deleted if the differential backup set is present.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK this might help as you seem to be stuck - note this is specific advice for this possibly orphaned set scenario and only applies to backup on standard disk (so do not use for deduplication or tape)  The advice is also against a stand alone Backup Exec server and not a CASO setup (as the catalog files might be in more then one place in a CASO setup. )

1) Turn on the ShowHiddenMedia setting in the registry and restart the Backup Exec admin console. ( http://www.veritas.com/docs/000016049 )

2) In the console find the backup set that won't expire and bring up the details of the set.

3) When the details make sure Properties is selected in the left side bar and the main window will now show both the media label(s) of the set and the Catalog File Name.

4) Take a note of this information (make sure you have all of the complicated catalog file name up to the .XML on the end, so including the _n where n is a nunber)

5) Shutdown the Backup Exec services

WARNING as the next two steps are destructive be very careful to identify the correct files before any deletions or moves

6) Go to the backup to disk location and delete (or preferably move to somewhere else as a backup) the BKF files or IMG folders, i.e. the media label(s), that you noted in steps 3 &  4 - note if these are no longer present this might be why the set would not expire inside the Backup Exec console

7) Go to the catalogs folder(media servername subfolder) and delete (move to somewhere else as a backup) the .XML and .FH file that match the Catalog file name (including the _n) you noted in step 4.

8) Restart the Backup Exec services and check for the set in the console

Note: suggest undoing step 1 as the ShowHiddenMedia key will let you see things that look misleading and can cause confusion (disk based backup sets showing up as members of strange media sets for instance)