cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Job exports more tapes than duplicate job produces

Michael_Hansen
Level 3
I have a daily backup job that was created with a policy. It does a differential backup followed by a duplication job and an export of the tape. When the export runs it exports the duplicate tape and 2 - 3 others. None of which was used any of the jobs. This has just started happening this week. I applied SP 1 and hotfix 13 last Friday to BE 10.0 Rev 5520. The Weekly Full backup over the weekend didn't have this problem. I have searched this forum but it doesn't appear that anyone has had a similar problem.
10 REPLIES 10

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Install the SP1 for BE v10.0 5520

Refer the following technote:-
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278701.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Michael_Hansen
Level 3
I have already installed SP1. It was after I installed it this started happening. Do you want me to install it again?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please inventory and catalog the extra tapes that are ejected, check the restore selections available on these tapes. Verify that the job does not span on these tapes or run on these tapes due to some tape rotation problem.
What kind of a device are you using, is it a library, if so how many slots are there and how meny drives.
What is the backup job cycle and the tape rotation scheme in conjunction.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Michael_Hansen
Level 3
We use an IBM 3583 Tape Library with 24 slots and 2 LTO2 drives. Each Monday- Thrusday, we do 2 differential backup jobs. The first one is duplicated after it finishes. The second one follows the duplicate of the first. When the second one finishes it creates a duplicate and exports the duplicate tape. The tape is taken offsite each night and returned the next day. The tape is placed back in the library as a scratch tape when it is returned. The jobs are run in this sequence so duplicates from both jobs go to one tape. Both jobs were setup with policies. I haven't changed anything in the templates on either job. All this started happening since I installed SP1 and hotfix 13.

Last night's export job exported 6 tapes. These included the duplicates from last night's jobs plus tapes that were duplicates from each of the differential backups from last week. All of these extra tapes have been scratched. So none of these extra tapes contain data and aren't part of any backup set.

I have noticed that export jobs created with policies alway try to export a tape for each backup set and consequently fail because the tape has already been exported. Looking at the job log of the export each day, shows the job trying to export the extra tapes for multiple backup sets.

Michael_Hansen
Level 3
I decided to try deleting the jobs and the template. I recreated them. I will see if this stops the job from exporting the extra tapes tomorrow. If you have any recommendation to fix this let me know.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please update so that we can continue further troubleshooting.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Michael_Hansen
Level 3
After deleting the daily jobs and daily policy and recreating them, the export job only exported one tape, the tape from the duplicate job last night. It looks like this may have fixed the problem. If it works the rest of the week, I would say the problem is resolved.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update. Please let us know if thread can be marked as answered.

Michael_Hansen
Level 3
The daily job has exported only one tape a day since I deleted the daily jobs and template. The problem appears to be resolved. This problem can be closed.

Michael_Hansen
Level 3
I thought this problem was solved when it worked the rest of the week, but the following week it started exporting extra tapes again. In the past two weeks, each week the daily export job exports multiple tapes when it should only export one tape. If I delete daily jobs and the policy and recreate them, the export job will work correctly the rest of the week. The following week, it exports multiple tapes again until I delete jobs and policy. Doing this seems to reset something temporarily until the next week.

The extra tapes that are being exported are duplicate tapes from duplicate jobs from the previous week.