cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting a backed up resources list

Pavel_Molodtsov
Level 2

Hi!

I try to script some tasks by using bemcmd. I need to extract from the BE catalog information about all backed up resources and to create a resources list like in GUI when creating a restore job. I tried to use –o38 switch of bemcmd but it did not work – bemcmd never finished. Do someone know how to extract resources list from BE?

Pavel

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can use CatTools to dump your catalogs.  This will give you a list of files that are backed up.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136392

Pavel_Molodtsov
Level 2

Thanks you for the response.

I tried the recommended variant, it did not work.

1. There is no CatToll.exe In my installation of BE, but there is CatDump.exe. I suppose CatDump.exe works in the same way like CatToll.exe so it is no matter what utility to use.
  2.  CatDump.exe doesn’t work with big files – it falls down. The big file is 880 kb for example.
  3. If CatDump.exe processes a file, it produces a list of backed up files. But this list does not contain information about a server where the files reside.

I need to get not only file names but a full path to every resource. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance

pkh
   VIP    Certified

CatDump is for BE 12.5 or earlier.  For BE 2010, you have to use CatTools.  The document quoted earlier contains the download link.

To get the full path of the files backed up, you got to go to Tools ---> Options ---> Job Log and turn on files and directory.  This is a global option and all your joblogs will then include all the files and directories backed up.  Your job logs will be voluminuous, so make sure you have a lot of disk space on your C: drive.