cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Slow Backup to Tape

Brian_Dalton
Level 3
I just upgraded to 11d and my backup to tape is running at 10M/Min. My full backup has been running for 22 hours and isn't even 10% complete yet. Since I just upgraded I would assume that the BE install I downloaded would come with the latest tape drive drivers. Am I wrong about that? BTW, I am using an Exabyte VXA-320 Autoloader.
6 REPLIES 6

MrBuskin
Level 4
Are you backing up directly to the tape or to a hard drive first.

We run 80 HP MSL6000's and have found it quicker to backup to backup to disk drives first and then move the data onto the tapes.

Brian_Dalton
Level 3
Michael-
That sounds like a great idea since I also run B2D job every night for quick access to the previous day's files. Although that doesn't explain what's causing my tape backup to run so slow. With v10 we were getting 300-400MB/min.
As far as your approach goes, is there a particular feature in BE for doing that or are you just running 2 separate backups back to back (the second one backing up your B2D files to tape)?

R_H_2
Level 5
Try going into the properties of the tape drive (on the devices tab) and max out everything but high water count.  Then uncheck the boxes at the bottom.  See if that helps on a local backup.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can set up a policy to DUPLICATE the B2D job to tape as soon as it completes.  You want to DUPLICATE rather than a standard COPY job so you can restore directky from tape, instead of having to restore the B2D filers, then inventory/catalog/restore user data

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 06-14-200708:56 AM

Brian_Dalton
Level 3
Thanks Ken

MrBuskin
Level 4
Sorry about that Brian I get off track sometimes