cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed BE 2010 agent install on Windows 2003 - Error 1603

dscoleman01
Level 3

I've searched and attempted fixes listed here in the forums with no success. Reinstalled .net. I originally had BE agent for 11d. Manually removed all traces of that agent. Installation still fails. 

Attached is the latest install log. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

13 REPLIES 13

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you please copy the raws 32 or rawsx64 depending on 32 bit or 64 bit & msxml folder from c-program file-symantec backupexec-agent & copy to remote server C drive

& Then run setupaa.cmd if you have copied 32 bit folder & setupaa64.cmd if you have copied 64 bit folder

Once the command prmot disappers remote agent will be installed

Please check this

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH63239

for push install you can check this

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126563

Let me know if that helps

Thank You

dscoleman01
Level 3

Hi. Thanks for helping out.

Unfortunately, I just gave that a shot but it failed as well. Attaching log. I had run across that tip and tried it last night to no avail.

I'm open to anything at this point if you have any other thoughts. Spent about 6 hours yesterday trying just about everything I could find here regarding 1603 errors.

Scott

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Looking at the log the installation is failing while patching up updates. Rename the updates folder

from the RAWS folder and run the setup.exe

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Have you tried the 2nd link I have given

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126563

Thank You

dscoleman01
Level 3

Yes, just tried but unfortunately that didn't work either.

dscoleman01
Level 3

Was really hopeful about this one as I hadn't tried it before but it didn't work either.

dscoleman01
Level 3

The curious thing about the installer is that it never writes anything to the INSTALLDIR, Q:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS. The installer just skips in the progress bar detail to Validating Install and shortly thereafter fails. I'm installing as Administrator so it shouldn't be a rights issue or anything.

Note Q:, this is a Citrix server. Could that be presenting any problems? 

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

See if this help please follow the link below & do one restart

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135837

Also ensure .net 2.0 is installed

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125615

& then again try to install it manually

See if that helps

Thank You

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Try the manual installation with the local admin account.

dscoleman01
Level 3

Thanks to all who have offered help with this problem but after trying all suggestions I still have not been able to install the agent. If anyone has any more suggestions I'm quite open to anything. As I'm just doing an eval and do not own the software I can not engage Symantec support directly. 

Thanks again.

Scott

Towekop
Level 2

Hi Scott,

Struggled with this myself, some info below and what worked for me below that.

My error log also had:

03-06-2011,23:16:18 : The install encountered an unexpected error: Configuration system failed to initialize
03-06-2011,23:16:18 : at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey) at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.PrepareClientConfigSystem(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName) at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.GetConfigSection() at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.Initialize() at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.get_IndentSize() at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.InitializeSettings() at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.TraceEvent(TraceEventType eventType, Int32 id, String format, Object[] args) at System.Diagnostics.Trace.TraceError(String message) at Symantec.IFrameSDK.CommonOps.CRegOps.ReadRegValue(String& oValue, String sValueName,

03-06-2011,23:16:18 : The return code is: 1603
03-06-2011,23:16:18 : ERROR: Installation failed with error 1603. GetLastError = :0

Which seemed like a .net issue. The server was 2003 SP2 (old FTP box) and had Dotnet 2.0 SP2, Donet 3.0 and Dotnet 3.5 installed. I removed all three versions - control panel -add remove in sequence from new to old - ie - first removed 3.5, then 3.0 then 2.0. No reboot required and just launched the install again via network. \\server\share\raws32\setup /S:   When watching the processes in task manager - I now sawe msiexec installed Donet3.5 - and the remote agent installed fine afterwards.

I hope this helps! I searched a while and nobody seemed to have the same issue - or a working solution.

Regards

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Towekop,

Wow I didn't know if it was that obscure to resolve this issue, but glad that finally it solved.

(please mark it as answer for the benefits of all people in this forum)

Towekop
Level 2

Hi Dushan,

The error is a "generic" one - there is a lot of different solutions, the one for me might not work for everybody, just thought I'd mention - as Scott could not find a a solution that worked. Perhaps if he can comment I can mark it?

B