cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Jobs

j_burton
Not applicable
I recently had 3 job types fail the other day (Full, Incremental, and the Exchange/Sys backups) Here are some of the errors-

1) Full Backup:
Job ended: Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 10:24:32 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000fe09 - The directory is invalid.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Error : a000fe09 - The directory is invalid.

Backup - C: Dell ServerUnable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\CPL.CFG - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\wins\j50.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\wins\wins.mdb - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb - skipped.
Backup - F: BusinessWARNING: "F:\Users\user1\Outlook Data\Archives\backup.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "F:\Users\euser1\Outlook Data\Personal Folders\backup.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Verify - F: BusinessWARNING: "backup.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
WARNING: "backup.pst" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

2) Exchnage/Sys Backup:
Job ended: Thursday, March 24, 2005 at 8:10:49 PM
Final error: 0x17 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Final error category: Other Errors

Error Message:
Backup - \\ExchangeServer01\Shadow?Copy?Components \\ExchangeServer\Shadow?Copy?ComponentsStorage device "DELL 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Error : 17 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

3) Incremental:
Job ended: Thursday, March 24, 2005 at 5:42:04 PM
Final error: 0xa000fe09 - The directory is invalid.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Error Message:
Backup - \\ExchangeServer01\E: ExchangeDirectory not found. Can not backup directory \Config.Msi and its subdirectories.

Exceptions-
Backup - C: Dell ServerUnable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\CPL.CFG - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\wins\j50.log - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\wins\wins.mdb - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\WINNT\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb - skipped.

3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Your first error would be due to backup.pst file which you're trying to backup. User1 obviously has a backup of their data in a pst file on that server, however when the backup was done the pst file was in use, presumably because the users copy of outlook was open at the time, and it had the pst file open.

This is fairly common, I think there is something about the way that pst files get locked when in use which makes backup exec think they are corrupt (you get the same thing with quickbooks databases). Not sure there is a lot you can do other than ensuring the user doesn't have the pst open when the backup is run.

Not sure about the other two errors though. the CRC error on your second one could be multiple things, normally relating to either the drive hardware or a problem with the tape. If you search the knowledge base there are loads of articles relating to the various things which can cause that error.

If if the third error was relating to a normal folder on the server I would guess that it was due to the folder being removed, but the selection still being there in the backup properties, but since it is an Exchange folder I would assume this is not the case, since you Exchange server wouldn't be working, and at a guess I figure you would have heard about that if that had been the case! :) So I'm not sure what it is relating to in this instance.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

1. Regarding the first issue and third please see the technote below:
"The directory is invalid" (a000fe09 HEX or e000fe09 HEX) is reported when a backup job fails

http://support.veritas.com/docs/266179
http://support.veritas.com/docs/207001
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267293

2. Regarding the second issue please see the technote below:
"Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" (00000017 HEX) is reported in the Backup Exec job log during a failed backup/verify operation

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192216

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be "assumed answered" and archived.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Archiving the post as per our previous reply