cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure to upgrade Backup Exec 2012 agent

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi All,

BE 12 agent was installed, I have planned to upgrade BE 2012 agent.

Previous time somebody told me no need to uninstall BE 12 agent and possible to upgrade in by push install directly.

I have tried but failure.....

"Another version of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems is installed on this computer. Uninstall the Remote Agent before continuing with the installation."

So I must uninstall it ?? Or anyway to upgrade it directly ??

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

William_Lawance
Level 6

Attached for reference

lmosla
Level 6

You cannot upgrade from Backup Exec 12 directly to Backup Exec 2012.  You would have to either do a fresh install or upgrade first to Backup Exec 12.5 or higher first.

Is Backup Exec 2012 already installed? Yes, completely uninstall the remote agent and then push install the Backup Exec 2012 agent from the media server.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

So there are obviously traces left of Backup Exec 12'sRAWS agent on that server after you uninstalled it.

Open regedit, save the registry to disk, and then do a search for any entries relating to Symantec and Backup Exec. Delete them, and then do the same thing on the C:\ drive, or wherever you installed the RAWS agent.

Once done, try the installation of the BE 2012 RAWS agent again.

Thanks!

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi Imosla,

- This mean upgrade to BE 2012 agent not available from BE 12.

- BE 2012 server already installed. Then I need to uninstall BE 12 agent and push install BE 2012 agent ??  

Right ??

Thanks

William_Lawance
Level 6

I have to delete some registry  ??

Maddy888
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Willam,

You have to remove each of the registry related to backup exec also if required you need to reinstall .Net framework also.

Regards

Maddy

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi Maddy888,

Some confuse, just uninstall BE 12 agent is not ok ??

Or remove registry just need when failure to install BE 2012 agent after uninstall BE 12 agent ??

Thanks

CraigV

1. Open registry.

2. Save a backup to disk.

3. Do a search for Backup Exec...delete all entries of Backup Exec from the registry.

4. Open Windows Explorer.

5. Do a search for Backup Exec...delete all entries from disk.

6. Push-install/manually install BE 2012 RAWS agent.

That's it...step-by-step!

Thanks!

Maddy888
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi William,

As per your above post you tried upgrading BE 12 agent to BE2012 and it failed, that might have change the registry. You can check bu uninstalling BE12 agent if it dosen't work the you have to perrform the above step.

Regards

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello William,

Please follow the technote below whichgives detail steps to uninstall Remote agent manually from the remote server.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67216 : How to manually uninstall the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) 11d and above

Regards,

-Sush...

CraigV

...you've just mentioned what I did several hours ago about uninstalling the agent manually...no registry changes should be made during a failed upgrade as there is a rollback procedure.

Thanks!

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi CraigV,

These stps need when failure to install BE 2012 agent or MUST do it for upgrade BE 2012 agnet after uninstall BE 12 agent ?

William_Lawance
Level 6

Hi Maddy888,

Actually, BE 12 agent hasn't uninstall when I was trying to upgrate it to BE 2012 agent.

So the steps to change the registry is needed while upgrading BE 2012 agent after BE 12 agent was unsintalled ??

CraigV

Yes...go back a couple of posts and read the steps I outlined, or the TN that was posted which is the same thing.

The uninstallation/upgrade has left pointers, either in the registry, or on disk, and when BE tries to upgrade/install the latest RAWS agent, it is these entries preventing this.

Thanks!