cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files in System32 and Winsxs folders not backing up

Richard1989
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I have recently installed Backup Exec (BE) 2010 R3 on a server that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64, we also have another server running BE 2010 R3. The older server is very old and slow and is there just as a spare in case of hardware failure, however, we did used to use it as our main backup server.

Since I started running backups on the new server I found that the backups are smaller than they were when compared to the old backups. I have investigated this and found that the bulk of the files that make up this difference are in the System32 and Winsxs folders. I have compared the amount of data backed up on the new backup job with the amount that was being backed up on the old server and it varies from server to server, but the difference between the backup sizes can be around 20gb.

In a way this is good as it is saving me time on my backups, but I am little concerned as to why BE is doing this, plus I am a little concerned that if it comes to doing a restore that I may not be able to do so properly. As far as I can see every single option on the backup job on the new installation is exactly the same as the old one, so I am not too sure why there is a difference! 

Can anyone explain to me why BE is doing this, and also, is it a problem, should I be concerned about it?

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Richard,

What sort of compression are you getting during the backup of this new server? Is it more than you were getting when backing up the old server?

Thanks!

Richard1989
Level 3

Hi Craig, 

Thanks for your relpy. For this weekend's backup it is 2.2:1 (it's a backup to tape), I am getting this by looking at the tape that is currently in the slot. I was getting the same on the old server.

Thanks,

Rich

CraigV

...could be different sizes due to drivers, patches installed, whatever else is contained in that folder etc. This folder is apparently expected to grow over time.

Thanks!

Richard1989
Level 3

Hi, sorry, I should have said that the winsxs folder isn't backing up at all and some of the system 32 isn't backing up either. If I go to restore any winsxs folder the contents of it are blank, however, if I look at the old backup server there are items to restore within this folder. When I log on to the servers and look in the folder there are items on all of them.

Rich

CraigV

...are those folders selected in the backup? Are you using Advanced Open File Option at all? Can you check and see if those folders haven't been excluded for whatever reason?

Thanks!

Richard1989
Level 3

As far as I can see all of the folders are selected, plus all folders within the folders that appear to be empty when backed up.

I have checked the global excludes list Edit> Manage Selection Lists> Excludes> Edit and there are only three items in there:

\\*\*\**\interchk.chk /subdir /exclude \\*\*\**\*.tmp /subdir /exclude and \\*\*\**\pagefile.sys /subdir /exclude

Richard1989
Level 3

PS We are not using the AOFO on this job, but do have it turned on for other jobs. The other jobs also have this problem.

Rich

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The system32 and Winsxs directories are backed up when you backup the system state. They would not be backed up when you select them as part of a file backup

Richard1989
Level 3

Hi PKH, thanks for your rely.

They were showing as backed up on my older backup server, which is why I am confused about all of this.

Rich