cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0xe00084af, The data being read from the media is inconsistent

Chris_Wornell
Level 3
Hello,

The problem I'm having is related to backing up a Linux machine using the RALUS agent. Every time I try to perform a full backup of the machine, I get the following error:

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in IBM Ultrium-TD2 LTO-2.
V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Here is what I have tried to fix the problem:

-Tried several different media including brand new media and media that has worked before
-Installed the Veritas drivers for the tape drive
-Done a long erase on the media
-Checked the event log and found no devices/hardware errors related to the backup job
-Updated the drive with the latest firmware (IBM ULTRIUM TD-2)
-Rebooted the server and the tape robot

Using the same media, I have been able to do a full, successful backup of the Windows 2003 server that BackupExec is installed on. The problem only arises when backing up this Linux machine.
3 REPLIES 3

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- What is the version of Linux you are using?

- Kindly try a backup on a backup to disk folder and revert back to us.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Chris_Wornell
Level 3
Thank you for the reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

-Fedora Core 3 Kernel 2.6.9-1.667smp (I had to perform a manual install)
-Backup-to-Disk yields the same error

The automatic install of RALUS didn't work because rsh is not installed on that server. I followed the directions for the manual install though (and found they weren't complete).

Chris_Wornell
Level 3
Problems turns out to be the RALUS agent. I've learned that the RALUS agent is really simple (the license fee does not justify this addon) and will hang on files it can't access or back up. Just skipping the file is apparently beyond its ability.