cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final error: 0xe000fedd - A failure occurred accessing the object list.

Brian_Debelius
Level 3
Windows 2003 R2 sp1
BE 11d - hot fix 2 and hot fix 6

Error ceases when the following services are stopped before the backup; Distributed File System, File replication Service, DFS Replication. I have not yet determined which one is involved, or if all three are.

I have tried to apply the hot fix (article 833167) suggested in V-79-57344-65245, but the hot fix states the the service pack is newer then the hot fix, and it will not apply.

Any suggestions?

===============
Job Completion Status
Job ended: Monday, December 11, 2006 at 11:37:50 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fedd - A failure occurred accessing the object list.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65245
===============
Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- Shadow?Copy?Components - VSS Writer File SystemV-79-57344-65245 - A failure occurred accessing the object list.
===============
Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup- Shadow?Copy?Components - VSS Writer File SystemThe item Shadow?Copy?Components\System?Service\File Server Resource Manager\FSRM Global Configuration in use - skipped.
===============
15 REPLIES 15

Brian_Debelius
Level 3
After running many backups today, I have determined that the services I mentioned in the previous post contribute nothing to this problem.

What does stop the error from occurring is stopping the File Server Resource Manager service.

Adrian_Inman_2
Level 2
I have EXACTLY the same problem at a client of mine. Just deployed a Small Business Server 2003 R2. I have contacted Microsoft for the suggested hotfix, only to discover like Brian that it is actually already part of Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.

Is there any Symantec support people who can shed light on this issue or do we have to wait for a hotfix from Symantec?

Please help!

Brian_Debelius
Level 3
*bump*

Louis_McCutchen
Level 3
I'll add my name to the list of people with this error in the hopes that Symantec will come up with a solution. I have had it for a month, tried the various suggestions without any success and fail to see why I should have to stop a Windows Service to get a backup.

Microsoft Backup works without error which tends to make me think it is a Symantec issue.

STeve_O
Level 5
Guys - open notepad and save a file into c:\system volume information\srm\reports folder and save the file with .xml extension. Doesnt matter what the first part of the filename is just as long as the extension is .xml.

You may have to grant some right to get into system volume information folder. Remember its hidden.

VSS is looking for xml file to be populated in this folder and the Microsoft OS is not putting them there.

Brian_Debelius
Level 3
Ok, I will try this, and see how it does tonight. Thanks
brian-

Louis_McCutchen
Level 3
I tried it on the brief test case (shadow copy only) and it worked. I will try it on the full backup procedure tonight.

Thanks for the help!

Adrian_Inman_2
Level 2
Am now getting different error -

0xe0008516- Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34070

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- D: DataV-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Any ideas?

Thomas_Krebs
Level 3
Great,
creating a file as you explained did the trick on our Windows 2003 Server.
But what to do on a Win XP 64 client where I have the same problem?
That SRM directory doesn't exists there.

Any solution for that?

Thomas

STeve_O
Level 5
Well its a Microsoft issue. Microsoft released VSS writer code. When the write is called that directory is supposed to be populated with XML files. These are the report you can run in FSRM.

Brian_Debelius
Level 3
That worked. Thanks.

Thomas_Krebs
Level 3
Sorry, I don't understand this one:
The Win 64 XP machine doesn't have FSRM (= File Server Resource Manager?).

Thomas

Juergen_Vollmar
Level 3
Hello Steve,

thanks for your suggestion, I'll try this one tonight :)

I have some servers at my customers location having the same problem. And it's allways just the shadow copy components that fail, all other vss backups in the backup jobs are successfull.

Could you find out, if this is a microsoft issue they know about?

I have applied the newer VSS Hotfix KB913648 to my customers servers and that one too doesn't fix this problem.

Juergen

Brian_Englebrig
Level 4
So, what if you don't have a reports folder in the System Volume Information folder? Can I simply make one?

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi Brian

Check out this TechNote and see if it helps

When performing Shadow Copy Components backups with the File Server Resource Manager (FSRM) installed, Quota Reports are not generated and the job will fail.

Also check your VSS Writers and make sure they are all stable. At a command prompt run this

vssadmin list writers