cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

veritas 11d 64bit memory problem

Alexey_Eronko
Level 3
Hello,
   It seems that BE has memory leak, I installed BE and in one day find our that beserver.exe user 1.5G memory. I kill this process but in 5 hour beserver.exe use 1G again.
   I did't find any updates for my BE version : v11. 7170

What might be the cause of this problem?

Thx

Alexey
24 REPLIES 24

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
How large are your backup jobs?   BE 11D uses around 500MB-700MB on my XP Pro x64 workstation for backups.   SQL also chews up RAM.   On a server, you should have 3-4GB with SQL dedicated to around 1.5-1.7GB.  

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
How large are your backup jobs?   BE 11D uses around 500MB-700MB on my XP Pro x64 workstation for backups.   SQL also chews up RAM.   On a server, you should have 3-4GB with SQL dedicated to around 1.5-1.7GB.   What

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
How large are your backup jobs?   BE 11D uses around 500MB-700MB on my XP Pro x64 workstation for backups.   SQL also chews up RAM.   On a server, you should have 3-4GB with SQL dedicated to around 1.5-1.7GB.     

Alexey_Eronko
Level 3
HI Michael, I don't exactly your point. I have clear installation without any jobs and activity, five minutes ago I killed beserver.exec with 2.4G memory usage.

Alexey

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Did you try restarting the box?  So no backups are done.  Does it do the same thing? 

Alexey_Eronko
Level 3
hi,
I tried to restart box, but no result. I have no jobs,backups on my  BE installation. BE starts from 100mb to 400 mb in 1 hour.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Which process is causing this?  What do the other BE*.exe process look like for RAM usage.  

Alexey_Eronko
Level 3
bengine.exe -  22mb
beserver.exe - 248mb (no active jobs and etc)

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
What happens when you setup a job and run it? 

Alexey_Eronko
Level 3
Does it make sense?
 I can't leave service beserver.exe on my server.
This process  eats all my 4G server RAM.

Is there some patch from Symantec avaible?
Maybe my Windows 2003 is not up2date with last patches from microsoft?
I found similar problems with memory in BE but I did't find solution of the problem.

Please help me. BE is my favorite backup instument. :(

Ian_Hibberd
Level 2
I feel your pain, Just installed it onto a brand new 2003R2 box and getting exactly the same problem. 

Alexey_Eronko
Level 3
Maybe we should ask Symantec support, but I don't have support contract for this. :(

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

It appears that issue is the .NET Framework is missing a couple of folders.

BESERVER initializes the reporting engine (CRF), and it relies on .NET Framework to do this. However, the CRC.EXE (to compile the reports) doesn't start. The reason why it didn't start is because the directory "Temporary ASP.NET Files" does not exist in the .NET Framework install directory. So, creating this directory, allows CSC.EXE to do its work and place the required files by the reporting engine inside that directory. The result should be BESERVER immediately frees up the high CPU and memory utilization. If however, this directory exists, then deleting what ever is inside it - should also fix the issue.

The install path should be C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 create a folder named Temporary ASP.NET Files under this directory another folder named CRF will be created under this one.

If the folder does not exist, create it.  If it does exist delete the contents.

Please let us know if this resolves your issues.

Patty

Ian_Hibberd
Level 2
Cheers thats done the trick for me,

I creating a folder called 'Temporary ASP.NET Files' under c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework64\v2.050727 and resarted the services and its fine now.

Cheers Mate !   

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
That is great news Ian.

I am glad it resolved your issue.

Alexey_Eronko
Level 3
Thanks for you help Ian!!!
Problem solved.

abuscomp
Level 3
Hi,

Tried the steps set out above. Folder already existed but contained many directories, so cleared these out, restarted the server but still the same problem.

Beserver.exe eventually takes all available memory and is hogging both cores even when no backup activity happening.

Please help!

Ta

abuscomp
Level 3
...using sysinternals process monitor I can see that the beserver.exe process is contsantly trying to access CRF.aspx in c:\docs and settings\administrator\local settings\temp\<randomnumber>\

It is also writing the following to CRF.log in c:\docs and settings\all users\application data\symantec\CRF\

[3]: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Reportviewer.common, version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken='b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi abuscomp

Make sure you have .NET Framework 2.0 patched and up-to-date. You may want to grab a copy from Microsoft and re-install it.

The older versions of BE (10 and before) used Crystal Reports to work with BE. When version 11 was released, BE switched to Microsoft's internal report generator.

In light of the Process Monitor results, you've narrowed it down to .NET Framework 2.0 and/or the report generator.