cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Creating a Backup Strategy Looking for Helpful Advice

Rooster2012
Level 2

Trying to create a backup strategy with 5 servers for a Virtual Enviroment using Backup Exec 2010 R3 for a 24hour buisness center, our back up capability is 6 tb san and a total of 4.4 tb tape drives.

Here are the specs of the virtual servers

Web N SMTP server 86gb

File Server 800gb

Sharepoint 24gb

VMwareadmin 34gb

Print 48gb

Database 234gb

DNS 34gb

Exchange 105gb

Terminal 104gb

AD 88gb

AD,Front end Exchange,47g

SQL and Sharepoint 34g

I was thinking of running Full GRT backups during the slow hours of 8pm to 5am Saturday and GRT Incrementals through the week however the most important back ups are the file server and the database server. I won't be able to back up all the servers in one day, so What I'm really wondering is how often should I run backups for the non essential servers and how can I mesh them all together in one schedule on either disk or tape.

Thank you 

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Few pointers for a better backup stratergy.

1) Its always a best practice to segregate Flat file backups and Database backups.

2) Use AOFO for flat files backup only.

3) Run GRT backups on Disk, restore will take less time as compared to Tape backups.

4) Disk backups are faster then tape backups, so initially target the backups to disk and then 

duplicate the same to tapes.

5) To complete backups within the backup window you may split the job and simulatenously 

run multiple jobs to the B2D.

6) For non-essential servers configure full backups once a week and incrementals atleast on alternate 

days.

Rooster2012
Level 2

Thanks Amol!