cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for a duplicate VMDK file

Alertsuser
Level 3

We are currently running Backup Exec 2010 R2 SP1 with all fixes and wondered if there has been a fix included with R3 or R3 SP1 which fixes backing up a virtual machine which has 2 vmdk disks which have the same name but one is in lowercase and one in upper.

There was a post referring to this as a known problem and wondered if a fix had been found rather than either moving a disk file or changing it's name.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I would suggest you upgrade to R3 (+ updates) and try it as the code we used to fix separate datastores with VMDK of same name in different stores might handle it - if not then as you might be the first to have this problem please log a support case.

BTW you should upgrade to R3 + SP1 + latest hotfixes anyway as we are providing various AVVI fixes for R3 that will never be provided for the earlier 2010 releases

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Here are the release notes for BE 2010 R3 and R3 SP1:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160460

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4044

That said, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to BE 2010 R3 and then install SP1 over it...

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver

Are you asking about same name in different datastores or same name in same datastore just different cases against the names - reason for question is that I don't think we have done any research against same name with different case in same datastores but we have looked at same name in different datatsores which should now work in latest version and update levels.

Alertsuser
Level 3

I found this on the site regarding same names whilst trying to backup a virtual server using the vm agent.  URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158120

We have a vm in a folder on a datastore, there are 2 vmdk files for 2 drives with the same name.

i.e. One is called serverdisk1 and the other is SERVERDISK1 which can exist on a linux/vm host apparently.

Just wondered if this has been fixed in the R3 revision.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I'd suggest to simply rename the vmdks, should be possible without problems (at least as workaround).

Colin_Weaver

I would suggest you upgrade to R3 (+ updates) and try it as the code we used to fix separate datastores with VMDK of same name in different stores might handle it - if not then as you might be the first to have this problem please log a support case.

BTW you should upgrade to R3 + SP1 + latest hotfixes anyway as we are providing various AVVI fixes for R3 that will never be provided for the earlier 2010 releases

Alertsuser
Level 3

OK, will upgrade to R3 SP1 and all updates and run another backup and see what happens.

Alertsuser
Level 3

Will current licenses migrate over automatically after upgrade to R3 SP1 or will I have to re-enter license codes.

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

You need to  install BE 2010 r3 sp1 on top of existing version which is BE 2010 r2 & it would take care of your licenses as same license keys are used by the version & so no need to reneter license keys

Hope this helps

Alertsuser
Level 3

After upgrade to R3 SP1 issue is resolved.  Server has now backed up successfully without having to alter the file names of the VMDK files.

Thanks