cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Database

Heath_Richardso
Level 4
Hi

I am having problems exactly like this...
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=101&threadID=49100&messageID=4373962뷊

I have tried to repair the database as per the response in the above thread but still no joy.

Could you point me in the right direction to start a fresh database using MS SQL 2000.

Thanks in advance
HR
10 REPLIES 10

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer to the following technote, which will help you re-create the database.

Title:- How to create a new SQL database in VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x for Windows Servers when the original database is corrupted and cannot be repaired
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254014.htm

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007 http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278434

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Heath_Richardso
Level 4
Hi Shilpa

Thanks for the info

I just tried to drop existing DB and reload from base but the below error occured...

Starting database recovery.
Stopping Services
Stopping services for server:
Server:, Service:BackupExecJobEngine stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:, Service:BackupExecRPCService failed to stop.
Error: (1051) - A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services are dependent on.

Server:, Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService failed to stop.
Error: (1051) - A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services are dependent on.

Stopping Services for server completed with errors.
Database recovery for server ended with errors.

The literature stated not to stop the services manually

What now??
Thanks
HR

ps I forgot to mention I am running SP3

Message was edited by:
Heath Richardson

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

As reload from base has also not worked please start with Fresh database install:

FRESH DATABASE INSTALL:

Sent a fresh database (which is a BEDB_dat.bak file as attached with this mail)

Rename the existing BEDB_dat.bak file to BEDB_dat.old

Copy the to the VERITAS\Backup exec\NT\Data folder
Start all the Backup Exec services and MSSQL$BKUPEXEC service

Run BEUTILITY
Right click on server name
Select Recover database
- Drop existing database and reload from base

Verify that all Backup Exec services are started, if not start them.

please update the results.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Heath_Richardso
Level 4
Hi

I tried your suggestion and got this error

Starting database recovery.
Stopping Services
Stopping services for server:.
Server:, Service:BackupExecJobEngine stopped successfully or was not running.
Server:, Service:BackupExecRPCService failed to stop.

Server:,
Service:BackupExecDeviceMediaService failed to stop.

Stopping Services for server completed with errors.
Database recovery for server ended with errors.

It seems the problem is the services won't stop for the recovery process to begin because I get this error seconds after clickng OK to 'drop existing DB and reload from base'.

Can I manually stop services recover DB and manually restart services??

Thanks
HR

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

As the problem that you are facing is complex and hence, requires in-depth troubleshooting. It is therefore necessary that you open a Voice or Direct Assist incident.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to assist you any further on this through the Forums.

Please contact us through your local support number as mentioned in the link below:

http://support.veritas.com/prodlist_path_phone.htm

* Please note that you may be charged for this service. For the latest details on pricing, please visit:
http://support.veritas.com/srv_portfolio/srvc_pricing_matrix.htm

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Heath_Richardso
Level 4
Hi

Can't I just totally uninstall the software and start from scratch?

I don't care if I lose all the logs and settings I am confident I can recreate this...

Thanks
HRMessage was edited by:
Heath Richardson

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

you may try to install the software from scratch, however we recommend you open a voice incident or a DA incident.

Heath_Richardso
Level 4
Hi

I looked at the pricing scheme and I am a bit confused about what type of service I would need to purchase for a DA incident?

So if I were to open a DA incident and were to purchase the most basic support I could, would it cost me $89 US Dollars?

Do I only get to report one incident for $89?

Thanks
HR

Heath_Richardso
Level 4
Yes for any one else that is wondering I just rang veritas

12x5 support (1 incident) = $89US
24x7 support (1 incident) =$265 US

For 1 year support must contact veritas sales

Cheers
HR

Heath_Richardso
Level 4
Well I totally uninstalled Backup Exec last night and reinstalled it and patched it.

The bakup ran no dramas last night and the program seems more responsive....so far it seems my gamble payed off.........will post if things change

Thanks
HR