cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Backup/Restore of a SQL Server

Robert_Norswort
Level 2

I have a SQL server running on a RAID 5 configuration that is just about run out of disk space.  I have BE 11d with Adv. Open file Agent, SQL Agent, and Intelligent Disaster Recover (IDR) Option installed.  Not too long ago I had similar situation with my Exchange server and was advised that the simplest method to rebuild to larger drives was to do a Full System Backup with all Non-Essential services (including Exchange) turned off and do a Full System Backup.  Then during the IDR Restore change the drive configuration and proceed with the restore.  I have the Exchange Option but was advised that this method is easier and would do the trick.  Well, it worked beautifully; when the server restarted Exchange came up just fine.

Does anyone know if a similar procedure will work for SQL?

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Absolutely

With the SQL Service shut down, backup Exec will treat the database(s) as flat files and do a Byte for Byte copy.

When you have added drives/expanded the partition, the restore will also do a byte for byte copy.  As long as the files go the same drive letter, SQL should startup quite happily, and you can then extend or add databases as you wish

Robert_Norswort
Level 2
It does seem logical and just what I would have expected.   Thanks very much for the quick reply!