cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Backups Running very slow.

Srini_Reddy
Level 4
Hi,

For some reason Full backups are running very slow on our Veritas backup Exec 9.1 server. Ealier it used to take 90 minutes for backing up 35 GB data and now it is taking 13 Hours for the same.

Its going on fine with diffarential backups. I dont remember doing any changes to the backup jobs. recently I have increased the over writing time from 3-6 week on on disk to disk backup device. Not sure if this might have affected or not.
No Error messages at all.

Remaining settings:

Compression Type: hardware if available if not None.
Open File backup When advanced OPen File Option is not used: with a lock

When the full backup is going on it is showing that the median loading status for more time.Even while backup running also its going on very slowly.
Its slow while taking backup on all clinent machines.At the end, backup is completing with out any errors.

Please advice on this. Please let me know if you need any more inform

Cheers,
Srini Reddy.
12 REPLIES 12

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Srini,

--- Is any Anti-virus running at the same time on the server when backup is running?

--- Have you also applied latest service pack for 9.1 ? If yes, then have you also updated all remote servers ?

=>
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237444.htm

* http://support.veritas.com/docs/249090

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Srini_Reddy
Level 4
Hi Gauri,

Thanks for the information.

Have checked up the Antivirus scanning. It�s running only around 40-50 minutes at early morning daily hence it is not affecting backup speed.
Have checked up the remaining setting for faster backups and found that all setting have already been set as required.

Only thing which I suspect is some thing related to the Disk to Disk media.
We are backing up to disk median allocating one disk media for Full backups around 1250 GB and other disk media around 250 GB for Differential backups.

All Differential jobs writing to the Differential backups media are being backup with good speed approximately 10GB/Hour.
But all full backups being backed up to other disk media are running very slow around 2GB/Hour.

Differential Media properties which are good:
Over Writing Protection period 1 week.
Append Period: 2 days

Full backups Media Properties which is slow:
Over Writing Protection period 6 weeks.
Append Period: Infinite.

Please can you advice if any thing could be done on full backup Media to get the slow back up issue resolved.

Kind Regards,
Srini Reddy

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

You can try defragmentation on the disk and then run a backup and check the results.

Are you taking any database backup ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Srini_Reddy
Level 4
Hi Ajit,

Thanks for the advice.
We have recently built this RAID array and it hasnt got compltely written till now.
Anyways have done the defragmentation but no luck.

Its slow backing up all data including the logs, SQL Database, web resource files for web servers.

Please can you advice further on this.

Cheers,
Srini

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

From the link given below please install the latest Veritas drivers

(title) VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

(title) VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 4a - Includes Critical Security Update
http://support.veritas.com/docs/280008

After installing the service pack you would require to reinstall remote agents on the remote machine

Thanks

Srini_Reddy
Level 4
Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Backup Exec Server has been patched up to date.
But I am not sore if we need to reload the backup exec remote agent.
We have the slow response issues for only one media to which we are writing the full backups.
We have got the other disk media using for differential purpose which is going on fine.

For sure, I think this is related to only full backup disks media as its not working well only for Full backups disk to disk media.

Please can you advice concentrating the problem from one disk media side.

Kind Regards,
Srini Reddy

Srini_Reddy
Level 4
Dear Veritas Support Team,

Please could you advice on this.

Regards,
Srini Reddy.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

After installling the service pack on the media server you need to reinstall the remote agent on all remote machines

Also try the fulll job on a new media and verify if this works.

Thanks.

Srini_Reddy
Level 4
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I run a test backup with the same selections to the differential backup media and full backup media. When I write the job to differential backup media it finished 2 GB job in 11 minutes where as when I am writing the same job with the same selections to Full media its has taken an hour time.

This clearly show that there is some problem writing to Full Disk media. When it is connected to the media its writing with the good speed only but most of the times, its halting showing the status like "Loading the media"

So I don�t think we need to restart the client machines as its going on good with Differential media.

Need to find the solution to make sure the jobs writes with Good speed to full backup Disk media.

Hope this is clear to narrow down the cause of the issue.

Please advice.

Kind Regards,
Srini Reddy

Srini_Reddy
Level 4
Hi Veritas Support Team,

For the past 5 days I have been writing all Jobs to the Differential media which is going on fine for all Kinds of Backup Jobs.

Again when I am writing to the full backup Disk media, still it is slow.
So for sure, it is 100% confirmed that there is some problem with the Full Backups media.
Both media is located on the same physical Disk storage device. It got two RAIDS one for Differential backup and other for Full Backups.

Hope the issue is very clear now.

Please can you advice further on this?

Kind Regards,
Srini Reddy.

Srini_Reddy
Level 4
Hello Veritas Support Team,

Have been waiting for the reply with any solution on this.

Have tried couple of things on my own which seems fixed the issue.
Taken the complete backup of the Full Backups Disk device to the tape backup.
Deleted all Media on Full backup.
Recreated the media as Disk to Disk Backup.
Have checked up taking backups to the newly created media found that its working fine now.

Ran all last weeks full backups and found that its working fine now.

Hence the issue is resolved.
Though it could not help me much, I appreciate veritas support team.
I would be more than happy in the future if the Veritas support could come with proper solutions.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Shrini,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response.
Do revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri